Problem with 2001 Yamaha YZ 250F.

Ok, so can someone help?

Last trip we notice the chain is pretty loose. After inspection, we discover that he needs new sprockets and a chain. We get em, and we replace em. He is riding around a while, then the bike quits. After dragging him back to camp, We take off the carb bowl to make sure it is clean and spray carb cleaner in it. Floats are good, no obstruction visible, fuel flow good. We also pull the old spark plug (it is wet with gas and black as hell) and put in a new one and add about 1/4 qt of oil. He tries to get it started, no luck. He gets dragged around trying to pull start it, no luck. Now back at camp, Check carb a little more detailed still looks fine then he tries to kick it, kicker won't budge. We put it in gear (1st), roll the bike backwards and pop the clutch. Kicker will now go down about 1/2 way and then sticks at top. We try this several times, same results.

Thanks!?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When was the last time the engine was opened up for new top end and valves, as this is an 01, so I'm assuming it has a lot of hours on it. Might be time for top end and head work.

Only way to know what is wrong is to get yourself the manual for this bike and pop the valve cover off to see if the cam is siezed, or a bent or broken valve, slipped timing chain, amongst other possibilities.

If your not comfortable doing this type of work, you can take it to the local bike shop, but be prepared for a very expensive bill.

Good Luck

Well we d/l the manual from a link here (thanks whoever posted that!) we have slowed so much with work we have no choice but to give it a go its already broke!

We have had great luck with help on here so going to learn something new if anything:thumbsup:

Oh well the young man we bought it from a week before Thanksgiving said he did some work recent but by the looks of the oil i think that may not have been true, he seemed so honest and helpful and his dad is even a member here he said but i forgot what he said his name was.

Not everybody can just go buy a new bike i sold mine to buy this for my 16 yr old son, Nathan even brought it too us also said the forks were just rebuilt but somebody must not have done it right since all the oil leaked out so that needs repair now too, I realize my son could have done that though but his craigslist ad mentioned a lot of stuff extra plastics that didnt fit,a t-4 pipe,and the forks and i believe some engine work.

Trying hard not to feel like my son was taken for a ride!

Well we d/l the manual from a link here (thanks whoever posted that!) we have slowed so much with work we have no choice but to give it a go its already broke!

We have had great luck with help on here so going to learn something new if anything:thumbsup:

Oh well the young man we bought it from a week before Thanksgiving said he did some work recent but by the looks of the oil i think that may not have been true, he seemed so honest and helpful and his dad is even a member here he said but i forgot what he said his name was.

Not everybody can just go buy a new bike i sold mine to buy this for my 16 yr old son, Nathan even brought it too us also said the forks were just rebuilt but somebody must not have done it right since all the oil leaked out so that needs repair now too, I realize my son could have done that though but his craigslist ad mentioned a lot of stuff extra plastics that didnt fit,a t-4 pipe,and the forks and i believe some engine work.

Trying hard not to feel like my son was taken for a ride!

If you haven't changed the oil since Thanksgiving, that may have been too long. Usually in these newer four-strokes you need to change it often...I do it every other ride. I waited three rides and the oil looked like it had been in there for over a year.

If you haven't changed the oil since Thanksgiving, that may have been too long. Usually in these newer four-strokes you need to change it often...I do it every other ride. I waited three rides and the oil looked like it had been in there for over a year.

Well is an 01 newer?

And do you mean ride or trip? my kid rides so much i would need to buy stock in oil if you mean every other ride.

buy a hour meter at sears or something to keep track of hours, that way you know when to change the oil.

5 hours of ride time is how often I change my oil, but it should be checked every ride, make sure its at the correct level.

run something like shell rotella t, it doesnt cost alot and comes by the gallon.

I have no idea what happened to the engine. sorry.

Go to the FAQ section and look up engine rebuild there is a great thread in there where someone has posted all you need to know with pics. He even has red circles around all the bolts and major issues in a strip down it is really good.

MM

Thank you guys! We realize its older and machines do break, Kind of excited to take a look and see if we can fix it my dad fixed all his own stuff not that i could we have nothing in the way of tools but will give it a go:thumbsup:

I have never seen anyone chance the oil like that wow! is that the reccommended way? Guess we need an hour meter.

Thanks again!

everyone has they're own opinion on how often the oil should be changed.

it was low a 1/4 quart of oil, the chain was loose, black spark plug, and new sprokets were needed? that sounds like poor maintenance by the previous owner. ?

sounds like the engine might need a major overhaul. you should take it to a mechanic and at least have him evaluate the overall condition and what it will take to fix it.

everyone has they're own opinion on how often the oil should be changed.

it was low a 1/4 quart of oil, the chain was loose, black spark plug, and new sprokets were needed? that sounds like poor maintenance by the previous owner. ?

sounds like the engine might need a major overhaul. you should take it to a mechanic and at least have him evaluate the overall condition and what it will take to fix it.

I agree, It may be wiser at this point to just part out the remains and buy a slightly newer bike.

which Id be intrested in some of the parts if you go that route

well we need to keep green sticker we ride all year and keep 4 stroke, If we get another what should we look for since we didnt do such a good job with this bike?

Thank you all it doesn't sound so good for saving it.

perhaps an 03+ wr250f, they are green sticker, and have the same motor.

Son had that choice the 1st time he only had 1800 and a wr was one of them he said "the wr is for old peeps like you mom,I like the yz for a kid like me" Lol

He would have liked the CRF 250X but that was out of his budget.

So since his budget will only be older model what should we look physically for? We know sprokets now:thumbsup:

Thanks for the help!

Son had that choice the 1st time he only had 1800 and a wr was one of them he said "the wr is for old peeps like you mom,I like the yz for a kid like me" Lol

He would have liked the CRF 250X but that was out of his budget.

So since his budget will only be older model what should we look physically for? We know sprokets now:thumbsup:

Thanks for the help!

If you figure out how to pick a great used bike, other than knowing the previous owner very well, let us know.

On that note, look at the air filter to see how clean it is and pull it out to see how clean the air boot is too, as this is an indicator of how often they cleaned it. Ask them how often they cleaned the air filter and how often they changed the oil and oil filter. Check chain and sprockets, check the front forks for leaking oil on them. Push the suspension up and down on the front and rear listening for clunking or knocking sounds as this might give you an idea if they are going to need work. Ask what type of gas they used and how many hours on bike, engine since last overhaul, and what kind of overhaul, top end only or bottom too.

Good luck though as I bought an 07 yz250f with a fresh engine, around 8 to 10 hours on it since overhaul, and she broke a valve with in 2 hours. So now I am spending around 800.00 to fix the head and new top end. I sent my head to jesse williams and getting the lighter valve retainers to help keep the valves from floating. The valve float is coused by hitting the rev limiter too often and too long of a period.

Next time I am getting the brand spanking new bike becouse then I will know it hasn't been mistreated and I get to be the one who trashes it ?

I guess Im an old peep on an old bike thats still running races then.
If you figure out how to pick a great used bike, other than knowing the previous owner very well, let us know.

On that note, look at the air filter to see how clean it is and pull it out to see how clean the air boot is too, as this is an indicator of how often they cleaned it. Ask them how often they cleaned the air filter and how often they changed the oil and oil filter. Check chain and sprockets, check the front forks for leaking oil on them. Push the suspension up and down on the front and rear listening for clunking or knocking sounds as this might give you an idea if they are going to need work. Ask what type of gas they used and how many hours on bike, engine since last overhaul, and what kind of overhaul, top end only or bottom too.

Good luck though as I bought an 07 yz250f with a fresh engine, around 8 to 10 hours on it since overhaul, and she broke a valve with in 2 hours. So now I am spending around 800.00 to fix the head and new top end. I sent my head to jesse williams and getting the lighter valve retainers to help keep the valves from floating. The valve float is coused by hitting the rev limiter too often and too long of a period.

Next time I am getting the brand spanking new bike becouse then I will know it hasn't been mistreated and I get to be the one who trashes it ?

Some great advice if we had known these things we probably would have passed on this bike, Wow expensive lesson!

Live and learn