Sign in to follow this  

Goggle Frustration!

I have the Oakley M frames over my glasses with the velcro rip offs and I NEVER WEAR THEM. I have had a few *discussions* with the hubby about eye protection and I know I need to wear SOMETHING but I can't seem to find a pair that provides enough peripheral vision. I am not worried about the fogging or scratches, I just hate having limited vision. I am almost ready to but a pair of Oakley Prescription glasses that cover the majority of my eyes but the hubby doesn't think that this will provide enough protection when encountering twigs and branches head first.

Any suggestions? Any idea if there are ski goggles that have good peripheral vision that would work over a motorcycle helmet? (I don't ski).

Karna

I also wear glasses and did for a while either under the googles or just gave up on googgles and wore just my glasses which often led to scratched up face and rocks and roost in my face. I've gone to contact (just for riding) and glasses for all other times. It's made a world of difference in my riding as I can wear my goggles, see better and I don't have the constnt fogging issue of the goggles lens and glasses combined.

I'd really suggest popping for contacts if you can as this is a guaranteed fix for the situation. It was one of the best things I've done for my whole riding and gear setup.

A lot of comapnies also have these available that are designed for wearing over the goggles:

http://www.bobscycle.com/browse.cfm/4,83702.hml?AFF=690FGL

http://www.heavyglare.com/247/263/2061/Smith_Goggles/Moto/Option_OTG.html

http://www.heavyglare.com/247/263/2824/Smith_Goggles/Moto/Option_OTG_Airflow.html

http://www.heavyglare.com/275/286/2158/Scott_Goggles/Voltage_Series/Voltage_X_OTG.html

And prescription goggles here:

http://www.heavyglare.com/motocross-goggles.php?gclid=CO-9gIS6qpkCFRo-awod03urqQ

I've never heard of anyone wearing them with the prescription lens but that might be the ticket. Only problem would be if they got muddy and you had to abandon them, you'd be without glasses.

I don't have glasses, nor am I picky about my goggles, but I just wanted to say that ski goggles definitely could not hold up to moto riding...I ski and the goggles are pretty flimsy.

Really? Mine are like the exact same units as the moto goggles, only with a different tint and double lenses.

I don't know about the peripheral vision issue. All goggles limit it somewhat. To me, that is preferable to having ALL my vision limited by a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

I do frequently just wear sunglasses for scenic rides in moab, but, not in the woods.

I wear glasses also and just bought the Progrip Goggles

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/tpl/cmn/prodlist.jsp;jsessionid=DEXKCXBK5P5HXLA0WTVSM4VMDK0NCIV0?store=Main&catId=101&np=0&brandId=596

but like you it still takes some of your peripheral away and like you I have just worm my glasses. I know I need to wear my goggles so I am going to try prescription goggle route:thumbsup:

Try something in the Spy Targa series. I wear these because they offer the best "peripheral" vision of all the goggles I've tried. I rarely have any problems with fogging with these goggles. If you're prone to being a fogger, there's a trick you can do to help eliminate this (rub some spit on the inside of the lenses). They also have different tinted lenses available that you can switch out.

Really? Mine are like the exact same units as the moto goggles, only with a different tint and double lenses.

I don't know about the peripheral vision issue. All goggles limit it somewhat. To me, that is preferable to having ALL my vision limited by a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

I do frequently just wear sunglasses for scenic rides in moab, but, not in the woods.

really? hmmm.... my scott ski goggles definitely don't look like they could tolerate a good crash.

I know there are companies that make prescription sport goggles but I'm not sure who or whether they'd hold up to MX. When I coached fast pitch softball a couple of my players had them because they don't break like glasses do. I believe they got them from their eye doctors. Maybe your eye doctor could make some to your specifications.

really? hmmm.... my scott ski goggles definitely don't look like they could tolerate a good crash.

Maybe they have cheap ones for skiing too. My ski goggles usually cost a little more than my moto goggles, I assume because of the double-lens.

Like 06crf_er said above, contacts work great. However, sometimes if I hit something hard or am heading through a whoop section, I get a little blurry for a second. My theory is that the contacts actually get un-stuck from my eyes for a second, since a blink or two usually rights things. I am not sure if I am the only one with this problem, but its pretty minor. However if you were going to get contacts exclusively for riding, I'd go the prescription goggle route if I were you. Contacts take a while to get used to anyway.

Yah, same argument my husband has! I guess you guys probably know what you are talking about.:)

Looks like some good information on here...guess I'll be doing some more research!!

Thanks,

K

i got somthing like that with an insert for prescription lenses. i think they work great. the outer lenses are transitional. yes that is a zip tie holding the 2 halvs of the frame together, the insert is between the two and its snaps together, but its pops off too easily... i dont have a problem with dust getting in em at the track, may not protect your face from roost well like goggles tho...

i cannot remember the brand these are tho there about 3 years old now...

SNC00065.jpg

SNC00066.jpg

The do make the Oakley's for over the lens, otl, my husband and i both wear them. I think all brands make them. The rx goggles roxynoodle was talking about are in the bake of the racer x. Good luck

If you can afford it, consider lasix (lasics?) surgery. I had it 5 years ago and what an improvement in my life! I was riding at events blind. I had to completely memorize my cross country courses, including where there were rocks and tree roots and other hazards for the horse. I had gotten to the point where I couldn't wear contacts anymore and glasses would fall off or steam up so I didn't wear those either. I think it was one of the best things I ever did for myself. When you consider the cost of glasses, it pays for itself in a few years. They even slightly overcorrected one of my eyes and it has 15/20 vision so I really have the best vision I've ever had in my life.

Over the Glasses (OTG) goggles might limit your peripheral vision since the glasses prevent them from conforming to your face as well (not bending around your face). I can't see crap in my peripheral vision when I have my glasses on anyway. Contacts rock for peripheral vision, if you haven't tried them I would highly recommend it.

My hubby wears glasses and because of the surgeries he has had on his eyes due to Diabetic issues, he cannot wear contact lenses. He has Scott OTG goggles and absolutely loves them. I can't tell you about the peripheral vision because he pretty much doesn't have any because of all the laser damage to his eyes, but he adjusts pretty well because he lives that way day to day.

I don't have glasses, nor am I picky about my goggles, but I just wanted to say that ski goggles definitely could not hold up to moto riding...I ski and the goggles are pretty flimsy.

Ski goggles are not as flimsy as you think - I guess it's just what brand you buy. But definitely ski goggles do not protect from dust as much as moto goggles do....and most ski goggles are double lense, which you don't necessarily need. They do withstand impact, though. Try taking a slalom gate to the face - they don't break. Just different purpose.

As for OTG - I hated wearing goggles over glasses. It's just one of those things you have to get used to - and really, you are not losing as much periph as you think. Your eyes will thank you for wearing good protective goggles, both to protect you from dust and sticks/rocks/etc...

My problem is finding goggles small enough to fit in my XS helmet.....