Sign in to follow this  

Kickstart gear installation

So, I had to replace my kickstart gear because it snapped. I got it in, and got everything back together.

When I went to kick it over, it kicked over fine, but then the kickstart and gear rotates clockwise a little bit every time it goes over. I'm guessing I messed up and have to pre-load that spring or something before I put it in? Thanks for the help.

532133268_03172009_1.jpg

same bike as me, and my bike just did the same thing in december when i was riding at the indoor AX track i was lucky and no damage to outter case but it seems to be a common problem on YZ's the kick axel braking and alot of time it cracks the outter case as well. now if you pull the axel back and you take a look a the gear near the back of it you will see a triangular looking cast pieace sticking out, then if you look at your case where the kickstart axel goes to the front side of it you will see a metal peace attachted to the case, if you notice the trangular piece on the kickstart axel has to locate and sit in that spot on the case. Then for the spring, towards the bottom front in the area where the axel goes there is small hole on built up area in the case the tab on spring goes in there, sorry if this doesnt make alot of sense but if you have those 2 parts in the right spot and washer in behind the kickaxel against the case all should work well. if you the manual that came with your bike still it should show all this, i was once rushing at putting an 04 YZ 250 back togther and missed locating the piece in case and it and the kickstarter would not work, had to take it back apart drain the fluids so it really pays to take your time and make your all is right before final assembly i learnt haste makes waste.

Hey, thanks for the help. I just took a gander at the manual, and it looks like I didn't make sure the kick axle stopper fit into the stopper plate... Is that what you are talking about?

yes, thats what happened to me once on a different YZ in a rush, i knew there was a name for it in manual i just couldnt remeber what it was and i didnt feel like walking out to the shop to to find out

• Like 1

thats sucks this seems to be problem with the YZ250's one of the only problems i know of. your post got me thinking and i actually did one tonight about this in the yamaha 2 stroke section