Sign in to follow this  

thinking of trading a dr650 for a drz250... need help

hey guys, as the title says i'm currently on a dr650 that i ride exclusively on single track and trails. i love it and love the power it makes but it would be nice to have a bike that's a little lighter. well today i seen on craigslist that some guy wants to trade a drz250 for a street legal dual sport... i'm thinking bingo!!! but i'm also wondering how much i'm going to miss the power loss coming from a 650? i plan on starting harescrambles april 5th and a lighter bike would be a god send. i don't have any problems at all on my 650 in the woods so i think i'd kill it on a 250 if it could get me around with no problems. btw i'm 5'11" and 210lbs(not fat so i can handle the 650 no problem). is the 250 a bike that i can race harescrambles on or should i just stick it out with my 650 till something else comes along?

any help would be great guys thanks!!!

I am your size and have a 2006 DRZ-250. I wouldn't hesitate to ride it in a hare scramble, but I am 73. I rode hundreds of HS back then, and I think the second hour of a race on the 250 would be a picnic compared to a 650. You can gear the 250 down a little for more zip, and there are some cheap mods you can do. Add 15cc's of fork oil to each fork and crank up the preload a little.

that's quite encouraging. so from your point of view would you think the weight difference(almost a full 100lbs.) would make up for the loss of cc's and power? i really wish there was one closer to me that i could test run...

Blair county, just outside of Altoona.

I am too long a hike from Altoona (NE Ohio). Maybe someone else close to you will repond to this post.

well i'm just going to talk to this guy and if he sounds like he wants to trade i'm going to take it for a test run of course :)