Sign in to follow this  

thinking of trading a dr650 for a drz250... need help

hey guys... just posted this in the drz250 forum too but thought maybe i could get some insight from you all too...

hey guys, as the title says i'm currently on a dr650 that i ride exclusively on single track and trails. i love it and love the power it makes but it would be nice to have a bike that's a little lighter. well today i seen on craigslist that some guy wants to trade a drz250 for a street legal dual sport... i'm thinking bingo!!! but i'm also wondering how much i'm going to miss the power loss coming from a 650? i plan on starting harescrambles april 5th and a lighter bike would be a god send. i don't have any problems at all on my 650 in the woods so i think i'd kill it on a 250 if it could get me around with no problems. btw i'm 5'11" and 210lbs(not fat so i can handle the 650 no problem). is the 250 a bike that i can race harescrambles on or should i just stick it out with my 650 till something else comes along?

any help would be great guys thanks!!!

as long as you have a serious tail-wind iam sure you wont

miss the stump-pulling power of a 650........

if you want to ride competition, get a bike designed for

competition, like a CRF450F or whatever.

at 210 lbs you might want to look at 450's - i think a 250

would be small, iam 5'8" 200 lbs and wouldnt consider a 250 anything.

i think the bikes designed for competition will eat you alive no

matter what "dual sport" bike you are riding.

yeah well i don't have to many choices right now or believe it i'd have a straight out of the box race bike. i ride my 650 with my buddy who's a b class harescramble racer and rides a ktm 450 xc-w so trust me i know what i'm up against.

If it is anything like a XT225 I would stay away. Neat bike, nimble and all but pretty weak. I held out for a DR350 because of all that I read and it fit my budget, it could use some more power. Glad i did not go the 250 route. I am 6' and 215.

yeah i'm thinking it's probably not the bike for me i guess... i'll be missing the power for sure and the weight difference i don't think will make up for the difference...

The 250 is basically the same bike as the 350 with a smaller engine. hence why I posted that even the 350 seems weak sometimes. The XT is much smaller and lighter than the 250/350 which is nice but it is really weak with like 17hp or something. I think a 350 with some mods and a weight loss program might be a good pick for you. The 400's supposably are not as bulletproof but do have an extra 9 ponies which would be nice. I had a Honda TRX450R for a short time with a stage 1 or 2 HRC kit and full yosh pipe. If my 350 had half the balls that thing had, i would be ripping knobbies off of it. That thing was a complete animal and louder than hell to boot.

the drz 250 the same as the dr 350??? i know that at least the drz250 would have alot better suspension than my dr650 wouldn't it. i mean from the specs i found it has fully adjustable suspension...

problem is there's none around my area... especially for trade for a street legal dual sport... what to do, what to do... :)

DRZ250 shares no parts with the DR250 or DR350. Completely different bike.

It is similar to the XR250 in design and purpose, they were never made to be street legal in the USA. Decent trail bike but not too powerful. Suspension will need serious upgrades to be competitive.

DRZ250 shares no parts with the DR250 or DR350. Completely different bike.

It is similar to the XR250 in design and purpose, they were never made to be street legal in the USA. Decent trail bike but not too powerful. Suspension will need serious upgrades to be competitive.

yeah that's what i thought... i suspected there was perhaps some confusion between the dr250 and the dr(Z)250 here.

so jcalis... seeing as how you seem knowledgeable in this area, in your opinion, would the weight loss make up for losing that much power of should i pass and stick with the 650 for now till something else comes along?

A really good rider would be faster in the tight stuff on the DRZ250 compared to the 650. You would be spending a LOT of money to completely re-do the front / rear suspension, and engine mods. There are a lot less aftermarket parts for the DRZ compared to the XR. I would pass.

A dirt model DRZ400 or XR400 (converted for street use) would be a better bike to start with, if you don't want to spend a lot of money.