Sign in to follow this  

bike cuts off when turn bars right

hey guys i recently got a 98 wr400f and when im sitting their and turn the bars to the right it will cut off. while on the first ride it did this and i thought the carb was just dirty because i was turning to the right all day and the turns where slow so i thought carb but now that i have the bike back together and running somewhat ok i noticed that when it is running it will cut off when you turn the bars to the right. any ideas :)

Check your wires - it sounds like one of your cables is hitting a harness and causing a disconnect on something ignition related when you turn right - you might have to remove the tank to see what is being hit.....or just leave it and use it for dirt track only.

That or the throttle cables are routed wrong. Either way you've got to pull some parts off and see what's going on with the cables.

Check the kill switch wire for a bare spot from rubbing the frame.

Check the kill switch wire for a bare spot from rubbing the frame.

Just what I was thinking:banghead:

Just what I was thinking:banghead:

ditto, and make sure the wires running to the kill switch are not pulling tight when turning right, if they are they could be connecting in the switch its self. Either way it should be a real easy/simple fix but will take a little time tracking it down.

i once had a kill switch go bad it took a couple of races to figure it out

haha im such an idiot, after i posted i went outside and started checking the wires because that was might thought too. about halfway through the harness everthing looked to be in order. so i go back to the front of the bars and guess what i see as i turn right......the dang on compression lever on the motor is just a moving. when i first got the bike i didnt like that way the clutch and decompression lever where situated so i kinda changed stuff around. well i changed everything back the way it was and it works like a dream. as this is my first thumper im still learning. oh well live and learn..............ride on

humm lets see, its a hand operated lever found on some older 4 strokes that is used to release compression in the motor so you can move the piston past TDC because if the decompression lever isnt operated at TDC its fairly hard to move the piston past on force alone. after TDC you would kick the bikes as usual and repeat until motor has fired. most newer bikes have a cam that does it automatically i think. i hopw i explained that right if not someone help me out.