gauge questions??

Ok,so I got the mini rail with a 650l motor and I wanted to put a tach,and a temp gauge on it!Any ideas on where to find them and where to hook them up too?I use the inline temp gauges on my water-cooled atv's,but not sure how to check engine temps in the air-cooled motors.Im putting a fan over the motor this week to help it out.I ran my heat gun on it after some long rides and was coming up with about 230 degrees on the cyl and head!Thats fine for water cooled motors,but Im not sure whats safe for the AC motor,any help guys?Thanks again for all the help so far,I know Im a pain,but I gotta learn somehow and this is the best place so far!!!IMHO!!?

would get a gauge for the oil temp for sure! and ive seen temp sensors that screw into heads, if you can get a universal maybe mod it to screw into head, now sure if thats as good an indicator as oil temps.

One of the easiest options is to get a Trail Tech Vapor digital "all-in-one" like a lot of the dualsport people have. You can get a thermocouple for it that either goes under the oil banjo fitting on the head for oil temp or under the sparkplug for head temp.

Another option is the round automotive-style gages like from Autometer, VDO, or Stewart-Warner. The only hard part there is getting a tach that is compatible with single/twin-cylinder CDI ignition. One for a Jr. Dragster might work.

With so many gauges to watch how do you ride? Jet the bike properly and forget about adding any more weight to that pig. Keep one finger on the clutch in case she blows.
Motor is set up correct!Gauges are for piece of mind,and may weigh what 1/2 lb??Why would she blow??She's 500lbs and has a heavy duty clutch basket,so far its great.Ive had about 350lbs in it and climbed some big a$$ hills with no problems!!!

I'll try to get some this weekend,as we are taking it out for sat. and sun.!!I cant wait,I've only got about 3-4 hours in this thing!With the wife wanting me to sell it and get some jetski's,I need to get her into the rail soon,so she can see how fun it really is!

Where do you hook up the tach to,the CDI or????

The 88-89 NX650 has the XRL motor and it's gauge cluster has a tach. The tack runs off the signal from the CDI. If you have the stock XRL harness and the NX650 gauge you would splice a wire into the black and yellow wire that runs from the CDI to the coil. I've seen NX650 gauges on eBay anywhere from $50 to $175, but they are rare, and you can probably find an aftermarket one for cheaper.

I like the vapor for the price which can be picked up off ebay for about $95-100 shipped. I just slapped on my wife's blaster and I actually like it better than the 3700 Acewell that came on my bike.

I ran the tach positive to the cdi and negative grounded to frame. I've only used it for about an hour so far but the tach seems very consistent with no jumping or odd fluctuations.

Air cooled engines run way hotter than water cooled. I would tend to think it would be in a similar range as an airplane air cooled engine. Those normally run a head temp of 450 or so. Here an example image of an airplane gage. While cool, don't even think of one of these they can run over $1000. Ouch! Anyhow the head temp gages has a red line at 460 reads to 500 and has a green zone from 220 to 420. I'd guess about the same range for the XR engine. Remember it's hotter on the inside than the surface so it's actually hotter then what you read. Keeping it under 350 sounds like a good goal. It should be easy if you have a powerful fan.

10-03440.jpg

Put a large oil cooler with a fan on it and you should be "Golden". The oil cooler with a fan will correct the loss of air flow over the engine mounted behind the seat.

I have a Carter Bro Mini Buggy with a GY6 150 engine but the GY6 uses a forced air fan to blow air across the head and cylinder. I have alreday looked at the options of putting the 650 in it but the chassis is too small for my taste. If I do it I will try to find a water cooled engine because of air flow issues.

Pics of the completed buggy would be great. Also look in to www.buggynews.com great site for buggies.

Ray