Sign in to follow this  

Stock XR 400 question.

I am new to the forum and just getting back into riding after 10 years. I have a stock 2002 XR400 and was wondering if I should do any mods to it. After reading all the post it looks to me that I need to uncork it. The bike starts fine and runs great for me and I mostly just ride with my younger sons on some easy trails. Will doing some of these mods and making it breathe easier really help the bike last? The bike has plenty of power for me now.

I am new to the forum and just getting back into riding after 10 years. I have a stock 2002 XR400 and was wondering if I should do any mods to it. After reading all the post it looks to me that I need to uncork it. The bike starts fine and runs great for me and I mostly just ride with my younger sons on some easy trails. Will doing some of these mods and making it breathe easier really help the bike last? The bike has plenty of power for me now.

Welcome!

And yes. hahaha. the bike IMO runs way too lean stock, almost dangerously lean. it will help it start to uncork it and richen it up a little bit. It will still be controllable power just, a little bit more when you need and they are cheap mods relatively.

uncorking it will def. boost up controllable power and they are cheap and easy to do. jetting can be a pain but really not that bad. if it has enough for you now i would just keep going with the research and wait until you really want more performance then get it done. 3x3, pipe, jet, cam all make a difference but if it has enough for you now don't sweat it. in time you'll maye want more then do it. just my .02

Do the Gordon mods as posted in the XR site Stickie.

They're cheap,easy and will make the XR400 run a lot better.

Thanks for all the info. Glad I found the forum!!

Get some adult size footpegs to replace those little twigs that come stock. You will really notice a big difference and be glad you did it.:) IMS, Moose, and XR's Only have great pegs at reasonable prices.