Sign in to follow this  

Day of trailriding the KLX

My DRZ gets much more ride time than my KLX. 1 - it has twice the power (fun) and 2 - my virgin 98 KLX 300 is so dang purty I don't want to scratch it all up. However, this weekend myself and some guys on a DR 200, KTM 400 and 2 DRZ 400's went and rode some awesome trails, and this time I wanted to take the light and nimble KLX 300. I quickly felt the syspension is going to need some work if I want to keep riding it on the trails. Going through the whoopy type areas it felt way to soft or slow for me. It was still thinking about settling after a hump and I was hitting the next one and so on. LOL

More power, or should I say "quicker power" would be nice, but not needed.

But I gotta say, I had a freakin' blast on it! It's quieter so my head wasn't ringing as much, I could hear other bikes around me, I'm not near as sore, it feels so much lighter than my DRZ, and I pulled up any hill I wanted and got some nice air as well! Lots of times we would be going up steep, tight twisty hills that you couldn't see where they went until you were right on them and I hardly ever had to pull in the clutch, just turn and give it some gas.

And I'm geared 15/50. It just tractored along so nicely!

At the end of the day, my bud on the KTM commented on how nice the bike is. Most of the time it's just nice to KISS.

Awesome bike!

They do tractor, don't they? I have 14/50 gearing on mine and am going to put on a 13 when I make the time to do it. I'm thinking that will make it a bit easier to loft the front wheel over trail junk in 2nd or 3rd than it currently is. I resprung mine with .45 Racetech springs and find them to work pretty well, but I am by no means a fast rider. No more bottoming out, anyway.

I agree with OrangeTJ, I did the Racetech front and rear springs on mine, day and night comparision to stock performance, working out great.

They do tractor, don't they? I have 14/50 gearing on mine and am going to put on a 13 when I make the time to do it. I'm thinking that will make it a bit easier to loft the front wheel over trail junk in 2nd or 3rd than it currently is. I resprung mine with .45 Racetech springs and find them to work pretty well, but I am by no means a fast rider. No more bottoming out, anyway.

I'm running .48 racetech and 13:52 sprockets. You wanna keep an odd to even number ratio so your sprockets wear better :thumbsup: I will say 13:52 is good but it could use a little more top end speed. I think 13:50 would be ideal.

I had the 13-50 on my KLX but after the big bore and the pumper carb I think that I am going to change to a 14-51 and see if I can get away with that ratio. The 300 has 14-50 as its stock gearing so I am going to put a stock ct sprocket on and go up one in the rear.

Besides I am getting much more confident on the bike and do not need the get out of dodge granny gear as much as I used to

Dennis

Yokomo, I have been riding up there since before they dedicated the lake. That is about 35 years. It has changed a bunch but still fun. Better be careful climbing up some of those blind hills as some of them do not have a back side. I found out the hard way.

Happy trails

I'm running .48 racetech and 13:52 sprockets. You wanna keep an odd to even number ratio so your sprockets wear better :thumbsup:

Gotta ask why is that?

When you run odd to odd or even to even the links sit in the same spot every time. And because the chain is designed with a link every 3 pins it creates a pocket. When you run odd the sprockets wear evenly. Look at the side of a sprocket thats in the even to even configuration.

Cheers :thumbsup: