Sign in to follow this  

Sellers beware

So posted my bike for sale on craigslist and within 2 days of it being up for sale I got a response. This guy asked me for more pics of my bike, so I sent them to him. After he received the pictures he said he was happy with the condition of my bike, and he wanted me to take it off of craigslist because he wanted to buy it. He offered me $70 extra to hold the bike for him. After I emailed him back, he said that his “assistant” will send out a cashiers check to me, then he would want me to release the bike to the shipping company that will come pick the bike up. I asked for his contact information a number of times, and he never sent me anything. A few days later he said the check was sent out, but that his “assistant” sent me the wrong check. The check he sent me was for $9850.35. He told me the check he sent me was meant to go to another person and he wanted me to deduct my money from the check and wire him the rest of the money. I agreed, but I told him I was going to charge him 20% of the total check price for me to hold the bike for him, and wait for the check to clear. He agreed to the extra charge, and the check arrived to me about a week later. I took the check to the bank and had a supervisor at the bank look over the check to make sure it wasn’t a fraud check, which it was. I did not release the bike to him, and told him the deal was off. I had the bank trace the numbers on the bottom of the check, which turned out to be linked to some of his actual accounts. I filed a police report and they said that he will be charged with a felony for fraud charges. I just wanted to warn all of you guys when selling your bikes, be careful of people who are trying to buy them.

• Like 1

wow good job with actually getting the idiot busted

messing with those types of people is fun if you have the time

Glad to here you didn't get burned. I hope they catch the guy. These scammers are getting annoying and making it hard for honest people to sell there stuff.

Same thing happen to me. I called the bank that was on the check and it didn't exist. So I went down to the local police station and gave them the check. If you read the emails he sent you. Check the grammar, it'll sound like a 5 year olds grammer, very broken english, and words in the wrong order in a sentence.

That's an old scam.

1) If the guy asked me to take down the ad, I'd tell him "as soon as it's SOLD I'll be happy to." A deposit does NOT finalize a sale.

2) Under NO circumstances would I ever refund the balance of any check he sent me. When in doubt, just rip up the check. You did the right thing by checking at the bank but this had scam written all over it from the time he wouldn't provide contact info - as in a PHOTO of his license and proof of address.

Same thing happen to me. I called the bank that was on the check and it didn't exist. So I went down to the local police station and gave them the check. If you read the emails he sent you. Check the grammar, it'll sound like a 5 year olds grammer, very broken english, and words in the wrong order in a sentence.

sweatshop's maybe?

dude, that is a way old scam. glad you didn't get burned. you should have called him up and told him you were due to be in his area in a few days so you would meet up with him and hand deliver it. take 5 or 6 guys with you and break all his fingers and wrists so he can't ever email a fraud to anyone again. just the way i think.

wow good job with actually getting the idiot busted

messing with those types of people is fun if you have the time

Yeah I was messing with the guy for a few weeks, I had him mail me a few things every once in awhile, and he sent everything overnight mail, so I made him spend over $70 of his own money.

Well you got off lucky. I had a car for sale in the Auto Trader,potential buyer contacted me several times asking if he could send me a cheque and then have a company come pick the car up....I agreed as long as my bank cleared the cheque, which usually takes 5 business days. Long story short I received the cheque, took it to the bank and they called the police and I was charged with fraud over $5,000. Spent the night in jail:banghead: . i was under the impression that if the bank clears it it is okay, I had a feeling from the get go but when I received an actual money order from CIBC I thought the bank will tell me if it's real or not. CIBC froze my account sent me a check of my remaining balance in my accounts. When I showed up to court I told the Judge what happened and he dropped the charges against me, police did not investigate even though I had phone #'s addresses names paper trails etc. Too many scammers out there!!!!!! Like I have heard many times "if it sounds to good to be true it probably is":foul:

D

thats why i only except cash, and ignore those stupid emails, you can tell if they are a scam and dont ask you any specific questions or refer to your bike as "item"

thats why i only except cash, and ignore those stupid emails, you can tell if they are a scam and dont ask you any specific questions or refer to your bike as "item"

That is exactly what he did...He kept asking about the "item"

You can tell by the sentence structure and language, that it's a West coast African scam.

Yeah....its called the 419 scam or something like that.

i got one of those emails once. i strung the guy along in several emails. he said i had a relative that worked for an oil company in africa that died and had a large sum of american money in a breifcase. he said i was the only relative he found. he wanted me to send like $2000 to release the briefcase and pay whatever lawyer fees with it and cost to have it sent to me. he emailed me a pic of the briefcase with the money in it. i told him to take $2000 out of the briefcase and send the rest to me. well several emails later he started refering to me as mam or miss. and addressed the email to some womans name. i sent the email back to him and asked about it. aparently he was sending the same scam to several people. he stopped emailing me. i turned in all the emails to some site dealing with nigerian email scams.

"I took the check to the bank and had a supervisor at the bank look over the check to make sure it wasn’t a fraud check, which it was."

Beware with even doing that. i have had then that show the people have the money in the account and the cashiers check is good, then have the bank deposit $5000 in my account only to have the bank write the next week that the account was bogas and they were taking their $5000 back. I never shipped the product or the difference in payment because i knew deep down it was a scam.

rule

1) if you ever here i will pay or accidentally paid $$$ extra please wire transfer me the difference, bail its a scam

2) if they ever offer you extra money all for yourself just sign the title over before the check clear, bail its a scam.

3) always post a cashiers check, money order, or for that matter personal check to you account for 10 days before releasing any property.

even though you say some of the check numbers were linked to his account I bet they were someone else's.

Most of there people are overseas and are out of reach even if the law knows who they are.

I deal with this all the time. A couple weeks ago i had a guy and traces his to Spain, real address and citibank account. we was frauding someone else's citibank card $20000 on this time and already hit the same card for $17000, after calling citibank they locked the card, but didn't care about catching the guy. Even went so far as to tell he that the card was around hit for $17000, in an unusual purchase. When I asked don't you guys call the cardholder to verify our of the ordinary huge purchases, they just said, hu, hu ,hu usually. Dill Weeds. Good thing we all get to bail them out.

Well you got off lucky. I had a car for sale in the Auto Trader,potential buyer contacted me several times asking if he could send me a cheque and then have a company come pick the car up....I agreed as long as my bank cleared the cheque, which usually takes 5 business days. Long story short I received the cheque, took it to the bank and they called the police and I was charged with fraud over $5,000. Spent the night in jail:banghead: . i was under the impression that if the bank clears it it is okay, I had a feeling from the get go but when I received an actual money order from CIBC I thought the bank will tell me if it's real or not. CIBC froze my account sent me a check of my remaining balance in my accounts. When I showed up to court I told the Judge what happened and he dropped the charges against me, police did not investigate even though I had phone #'s addresses names paper trails etc. Too many scammers out there!!!!!! Like I have heard many times "if it sounds to good to be true it probably is":foul:

D

That sucks man..But there is alot of fraud about.Don't trust cash$ either unless you know the guy.The easiest way for a guy to exchange counterfit $ is to buy used goods from the classifieds or buy cigarettes from a young gas station worker [smokes are as good as gold] Speaking of gas station workers NEVER hand them your credit card and just sit in your car waiting for them,even if you go inside you have to wach them when they swipe your card...reason being thats who the asian gangs "grease" to get the codes for counterfit credit cards,they will swipe your card twice once in the real visa machine and once in a rigged one that records your bar codes.{watch chinese restuarants also] but when selling you bike or anything get a bank draft go with the guy to your bank with it to verify it is the only way to go:thumbsup:

I had the very exact same thing happen to me as well. I never could get him to give me his info so I blew him off. And yeah it was on craigslist.

These scammers won't ever be charged with anything. It's like the ring toss at six flags. They get lucky once in about 10,000 tosses.

what a dirtbag, nice work on catching him...but yeah this is a pretty common scam...