Sign in to follow this  

Inline Fuel Filter for XR650L

I'm trying to figure out what kind of inline fuel filter I need to put between the fuel valve and the carb. Can I just buy one from an autoparts store? Anyone know what size the stock fuel lines are?

I think it should be either 5/16 or 3/8. I just run one of those universal plastic ones with tapered nipples on it from the auto parts store, that way no matter what fuel line size you have your good to go. Plus it will only set you back a couple of bucks.

welcome to TT!

if it fits the fuel line any plastic filter will work yes.

I prefer a metal filter- no chance that during a biff the bike will come down on something that will break the filter (snapping a nipple off is not that hard), or push it against the head and melt it.

Dave

let us know what you end up with , I looked into getting one a while back and found there isn't much room, plus it is darn close to the head so I was concerned about heat, I passed on those conical shaped plastic filters because they let too much small crud get through...every time I took apart my carbs on my old 750F which was running this filter there would always be some fine silt crap in the bowls.

I run the cone shaped plastic filters, picked it up at one of the local bike shops. Seems to work good, I haven't cleaned the carb since I installed it.

I prefer a metal filter- no chance that during a biff the bike will come down on something that will break the filter (snapping a nipple off is not that hard), or push it against the head and melt it.

Dave

Good call, didn't think about that. Mines far enough away from everything.

Good call, didn't think about that. Mines far enough away from everything.

The way I crash, I have to imagine the weight of the bike coming down on a stick and poking in just so...

Dave