2006 450exc top end time

am currently looking at buying a 2006 ktm 450 exc. the bike is a two owner bike and i know both or them and they both take great pride in the maintenance of the bike. the bike is immaculate with all kinds of extras includeing a rekluse clutch. the bike runs flawless, and is a real hoot to ride,and is still on the original rings/piston. i was ready to buy it until i saw 174 hours, 2400 miles on the readout. should i be worried about that many hours on it,am not wanting to buy the bike and then have to put a piston/rings in the near future.was told these bikes can go 100's of hours on piston/rings. thanks

Probubly fine, if not its not the end of the world, we rebuild many of them. The good news is there are so many of these RFS bikes around that several of us specailize in them and its always more cost effective to have the technition doing the job rather than learning the job

• 3 weeks later...

i have a 07 450 exc i just put a 540 kit on it and had the bottom end done also i had 190 plus hours on it with 6500 plus miles it seems wierd to me that these other riders have 174 hours and low miles also when i got my old parts back the piston had major carbon build up on it it was ready to blow soon.

How many miles and/or hours do you have on your car? Sure a high performance motorcycle engine won't last as long as a car, but as long as it's performance is good there is no set amount of miles or time for a rebuild.

174 Hours and 2400 miles?

That bike is just now getting broken in! That aint no valve munching Honda. Its a Katoom!!

The RFS motors are solid as a rock. I would keep the oil changed, filters clean, valves adjusted and ride that sum-bitch to 10,000 miles! Some dude from Dirt Rider put 30K on the factory top end of a RFS motor.

My 07' had 3300 miles and was like new.

• 3 weeks later...

My 2007 450 EXC has always been great until i raced it, dented the header and sucked 52 miles worth of desert silt into it all in the same day ?. It seems a little low on power and I'm hoping that this is just due to the pinch in the header that restricts 50% of the exhaust flow. It has 75 hours on it and 1400 miles, adjusted the valves once and never had any problems with it till the race. I'll keep an eye on it and make sure it's not burning oil, other than that it's tip top!