Sign in to follow this  

SM rear wheel wobble

I just mounted SM wheels on my S for the first time today and when I took it for a test ride it felt as if the rear wheel was warped. I checked it and everything is straight. I held the wheel at opposite ends and did a push pull test and noticed that some spokes are loose. Is this something that I can do easily?

Is the wheel aligned properly? "Looked straight"? Did you try spinning the wheel holding a pen/pencil/straw close to the rim and see if it is actually warped? How loose were the spokes? How many were loose?

I just mounted SM wheels on my S for the first time today and when I took it for a test ride it felt as if the rear wheel was warped. I checked it and everything is straight. I held the wheel at opposite ends and did a push pull test and noticed that some spokes are loose. Is this something that I can do easily?

Here's some info that might be useful to you. It's from the wheel/tire section of the tech tips here...http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=&daysprune=-1&f=396 It's not too hard if you just take your time and do it. I've done a few and you learn pretty quick. Good luck...:)

Thanks. I found some loose ones and just snugged them up. I then tapped the spoke to see if it was roughly the same tone as a tight one. The wobble has gone away and there is no warping. Some spokes required 2-3 turns!

I will be taking it to someone who knows what they are doing because there are some that seem to be stuck.

Thanks. I found some loose ones and just snugged them up. I then tapped the spoke to see if it was roughly the same tone as a tight one. The wobble has gone away and there is no warping. Some spokes required 2-3 turns!

I will be taking it to someone who knows what they are doing because there are some that seem to be stuck.

A little wd-40 will loosen those up. If you do take it somewhere, try and watch what they do, it'll save you some money in the long run....:)

Ok,so if I tighten up the loosies until they make a ping then i should be ok? What if i over tighten one a little too much? My thinking is that if I just tighten them it may cause the wheel to be slightly ovalish causing a flat spot type of ride. That is why i was thinking of taking it to a pro with a torque wrench. Don't know what to do:banghead:

Ok,so if I tighten up the loosies until they make a ping then i should be ok? What if i over tighten one a little too much? My thinking is that if I just tighten them it may cause the wheel to be slightly ovalish causing a flat spot type of ride. That is why i was thinking of taking it to a pro with a torque wrench. Don't know what to do:banghead:

I don't use a torque wrench b/c I don't think it's needed and I ain't paying that much for one. I used a small adjustable and went around the wheel a number of times til it was all done. I learned by doing it and feel comfy enough to do my own but if you don't feel confident then take it somewhere. It's better to pay a few bucks and get it done right than to worry everytime you throw your leg over the bike.....:)