Sign in to follow this  

Won't idle without choke

I've got an '03 DRZ-E. I did an Athena big bore conversion and installed a JD jet kit. It runs, but won't idle unless I keep it choked. I've tried spraying carb cleaner around the intake and around the head checking for an airleak. What else should I check? Bike runs like an animal otherwise - it just won't idle.

Burned, if you get this, what should my baseline jetting be? I've gone with the 155 main and the EMN needle clip on 3rd. Bike has airbox top plug removed and a stock exhaust with end plug removed.

It sounds like you will need to pull the carb and take it apart cause it sounds like the pilot jet is plugged up. While it's apart use compressed air to blow out all of the jets and passages and if you can't see thru the pilot jet just get another one. This happens a lot when the bike sits for an extended time.

What Jeff said... If your in NJ, the bike has probably sat a bit this winter. Adding Sta-bil will help keeping the crud from forming that plugs pilot jets and other small orifices.

It sounds like the pilot is plugged, like everyone has said. Stabil and drain the float bowl if it's going to sit for more than a week or two.