Sign in to follow this  

09 450 XCW in shop... :(

Well I decided this was above my head and needed some pro's to look at it. I'm also hoping they can get KTM to cover this as it appears to be design fault. My bike is about 6mo old with rougly 37hrs on it. The issue is oil related though it's not the transfer problem. The problem is that I'm burning through about .25l of oil in a 2 hour ride. This has been the case now for the last 3 rides I've gone on. I've tried re-routing the CCV line but that did nothing and I don't believe that it has anything to do with this. It's my opinion that the valve seals or piston rings are allowing oil through. I've had this problem pretty much since I picked the bike up, but it's just gotten worse and worse. I'm not sure KTM will cover it, but I'm crossing my fingers....... I also hope the tech's can find the real problem...

The idea that a ring is not sealing is not out of the question. In 2005 there was a batch of bikes that had too little ring end gap and the compression ring broke the first time it got hot, can happen. I would start with a compression test.

Let us know what they find

Ya, I will keep everyone posted on the fall out of this issue. I'm really itching to find out what's going on. Too bad the shop can't even get to my bike for a week.....

I really feel bad for you...but I just had a customer of my who I sold a 2008 530 exc to who was having trouble starting the bike get full repair. It turned out the cam needed to be replaced. the bike was well out of warranty and KTM paid for the parts and labor. Gotta love KTMs customer service. So if I were you make them call and ask for help from KTM...let us know how it goes

ya they called KTM and pretty much got the blow off, then again I don't think they tried really all that hard to get KTM to help. Currently, I've got the bike home and I tore it down myself as the shop was backed up so bad they could not get to my me. I found that one of the seals on an exhaust valve was bad and not sealing at all. On top of that it needs new rings as there is also leaking found from a leak down test. I think I'm working with a real POS KTM shop and I won't use them for anything ever again. I bought the bike there though and had hoped for better treatment, but that's just not been the case..

I think your shop is not very good. Have you tried calling KTM directly?

I bought a new KTM today, 4th one, but got a 24 month warrenty for all internal parts on the engine and tranny...I hope it is wasted money.

I think your shop is not very good. Have you tried calling KTM directly?

I bought a new KTM today, 4th one, but got a 24 month warrenty for all internal parts on the engine and tranny...I hope it is wasted money.

How does a person call KTM directly????

How does a person call KTM directly????

Give me a couple days and let me see if I can find out, I have a contact with KTM North America in an indirect way, Ill try Monday.

Not sure Ill get what we need but Ill give it a shot.

Give me a couple days and let me see if I can find out, I have a contact with KTM North America in an indirect way, Ill try Monday.

Not sure Ill get what we need but Ill give it a shot.

That would be great...>!

Just call the main office in Ohio. I'm sure they can direct you.

440-985-3553

That should do it. I would also mention the shop that screwed you over...the shop that i work at is not very big and we still have great customer service, thats why about half of the people there ride KTM, the just hve not sen the magic yet!!!! Good luck getting what you deserve

I have the same bike and have the same problem...Cant ride more than 50 miles without having to add oil..Its been a nightmare

How much did your fix end up costing you??

Thinking about doing it myself but dont have much mechanical skills...

Issues

1: The oil ring, since day 1 the 4strokes have had a 1 piece (plus expander) oil ring carved from one piece of cast iron, they mill a slot in it that the oil must drain thru. These used to be 2.5mm thich and worked OK, couple years ago they changed to a 2mm ring, at 2mm the rail above & below the slot is so thin the fing does not hold its shape, top end gets a wavy pattern and oil consuption goes up. I think it was mid 09 they redesighned, stopped cutting the slot in the center, new ring is a total failure. Only fix I know is an aftermarket piston. I have been using the Woosner in my customers bikes with good sucess.

2: A few, not a lot of them had the valve spring compressor at the factory crush one of the valve seals.

3: Hard to explain, almost sounds like BS but a real issue is if the right side cam bearing is pressed in too far the way the oil jet squirts oil at it the oil gets by the bearing. Only fix done to date is to remove the bearing and replace it with one not seated in as far. I have been tempted to try a nylon washer in that space so the oil spray is redirected.

4: Is related to oil transfer, the oil pump has an Oring groove that is cut too deep for the Oring they supply, I am making an Oring to fit each that I work on, also while there I am replacing the plastic drive gears for the pumps, your 09 may have the good ones?

Issues

1: The oil ring, since day 1 the 4strokes have had a 1 piece (plus expander) oil ring carved from one piece of cast iron, they mill a slot in it that the oil must drain thru. These used to be 2.5mm thich and worked OK, couple years ago they changed to a 2mm ring, at 2mm the rail above & below the slot is so thin the fing does not hold its shape, top end gets a wavy pattern and oil consuption goes up. I think it was mid 09 they redesighned, stopped cutting the slot in the center, new ring is a total failure. Only fix I know is an aftermarket piston. I have been using the Woosner in my customers bikes with good sucess.

2: A few, not a lot of them had the valve spring compressor at the factory crush one of the valve seals.

3: Hard to explain, almost sounds like BS but a real issue is if the right side cam bearing is pressed in too far the way the oil jet squirts oil at it the oil gets by the bearing. Only fix done to date is to remove the bearing and replace it with one not seated in as far. I have been tempted to try a nylon washer in that space so the oil spray is redirected.

4: Is related to oil transfer, the oil pump has an Oring groove that is cut too deep for the Oring they supply, I am making an Oring to fit each that I work on, also while there I am replacing the plastic drive gears for the pumps, your 09 may have the good ones?

Dave, have these problems been solved on the newer 2010 and 2011 bikes (530 Six Days)?