Sign in to follow this  

DRZ 400 S ignition problems

My 2000 DRZ400S will not start and gets only intermittent spark. I can sometimes get a weak spark from the plug but most times not. The coil has been checked at a shop, there appears to be no voltage coming from the CDI to the primary side of the coil. The clutch and sidestand safety switches have been removed and their wires spliced together by the previous owner. The pickup coil and signal coil resistance is in the normal range. I think their voltage is ok, I have a digital voltmeter that does not save peak voltage readings but I do get blips that seem to indicate output. How can you tell if the CDI is bad other than by process of elimination. I hate to part with the bucks for a new one if I'm not sure the old one is bad. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Most likely, the crank position sensor is bad, assuming you are positive the rest of the wiring is good. Not uncommon to have a wire go bad near the steering head or left bar switch.

Most common problem is wiring. Second common problem is the sensor.

Coils rarely go bad, CDI rarely goes bad. Best way to isolate the problem is to swap parts with a known good bike if you can arrange that.

I was able to talk a buddy with a drz400 into putting my CDI on his bike and it started right up. So, all that's left is a wiring problem or stator. Eddie, you said to pull the stator cover and have a look. What would I see if it were bad? Can it be bench tested? I'm thinking of pulling out the whole wiring harness and going over it with a very close look. Any of your further comments will be appreciated.

I pulled the stator cover yesterday. The stator and pickups look fine, nothing fried or broken. What should I be looking for?

Well--I followed all your advice and replaced the stator and the bike cranked up right away. Thanks for all you assistance.

Well--I followed all your advice and replaced the stator and the bike cranked up right away. Thanks for all you assistance.

i don't see where anybody mentioned replacing the stator. ]

there are tests for the stator.

if it worked out for you that's great. sometimes it's better to be lucky than good :p

I didn't mention that I did a resistance test on the stator. It showed 0 Ohms so I assumed it was shorted. I'd rather be good than lucky but I'll take what I can get.

my bad. i know william is more electrically inclined than myself.

when a stator goes bad on me, i have to pull my notes & run Nobles tests on the system.

sorry if i offended either of you & glad you're drz is back up & running:ride:

No harm, no foul. I thought it was the position sensor but I couldn't find that part of the stator assembly for sale separately.

isnt the crank position sensor the same thing that tells the cdi to fire? one coil charges the cdi and the other signals it to fire right? is there a seperate CPS or is it all one in the same? cuz im havin the same prob and i get voltage charging the capacitor and i get voltage from the signal coil too. cdi has a good ground and all safety switches work properly, sound like a cdi? im about ready to bite the bullet and buy one, but now you got me second guessin myself :ride:

the crank position sensor AKA trigger coil is the one mounted outside the flywheel.

I read about a lot of faulty stators but never bad CDI's.

read:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=627031

which is in the DRZ FAQ section

you must be using the search function to dig up an old thread like that. Congrats, not a lot of newbies do.