chain guard mounts

Guys,

I've got an 06 S and I'd like to remove both chainguards.

I ride 90% off road .....any reason I shouldn't remove them?

Should I grind off the mounts on the swingarm ? Is the chain guard required for inspection ? (PA)

Thanks in advance.

Several people on here have removed the top guard. The bottom isn't a guard, it's a guide, with the amount if travel the rear has the chain is relatively slack compared to other types of bike, the lower guide ensures the chain meshes with the rear sprocket instead of potentially de-railling and causing the rear wheel to possibly lock up.

Yeah, don't remove the guide. The upper is no big deal there or not. Check with the local DMV for the rules in PA.

The PO ground off the upper mounts on mine. I've never quite gotten the swing arm to look right. Gotta get the brushed aluminum look to match.

Zeta has a sharp looking heel guard. Check with Forrest at Wheeling.

Thanks.

Sorry for the confusion....I will keep the lower guide, how about the guard over the front sproket ?

I always seem to get mud caked in there.

Can I remove it ?

you can remove it. put the steel case saver back on though. you can either use the spacers in the plastic cover with the original bolts or use shorter bolts.

this is assuming the boots you ride in don't have laces.

as far as the chain guard goes, it is only there to keep a passengers pants, shoe laces, etc. from getting caught in the chain.

off road it's useless and can only cause trouble by getting a stick or a rock wedged in there.

I know someone on here was trying to find one so they could pass inspection a year or so back, for some reason I was thinking he was in PA. Maybe a search would yield the thread.

Edit - I think this is the one I was thinking of... and he was in Ontario. Probably be wise to check in your area though if you have inspections.

https://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=666431&highlight=need+chain+guard

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.pacode.com/secure/data/067/chapter175/subchapHtoc.html

175.155. Chassis.

(a) Condition of chassis. All items on the chassis shall be in safe operating condition as described in § 175.160 (relating to inspection procedure).

(? Vehicle frame. A vehicle frame shall be in solid condition.

© Seats. A motorcycle shall be equipped with a seat for the operator which is firmly anchored to the frame or support. No metal spring shall protrude from the driver’s seat.

(d) Chain guard or drive shaft cover. A covering device to prevent contact with a rider while in a normal riding position shall be provided.

(e) Stands. A motorcycle stand shall operate and be strong enough to support the vehicle and stay in the proper position when not holding the bike in standing position.

(f) Hand-hold. A hand-hold device shall be provided if the motorcycle is designed to carry more than one person.

(g) Footrests. A motorcycle operated or driven upon the highway shall have footrests for each person operating or riding upon the vehicle.

(h) Highway bars. If the motorcycle is so equipped, highway bars shall have a maximum width of 26 inches and shall be located less than 15 inches from the foot controls and shall not interfere with the operation of foot controls.