Sign in to follow this  

1979 honda xl500s brake light

I have a 1979 Honda xl500s and am currently having a little trouble with the brake light. The turn signals come on (not very brightly), but do not blink. At the same time, the tail light is illuminated just fine but the brake light doesn't work. I've checked, and it is not a problem with the brake switches. When either the front or rear brake pedals are depressed, the second filament in the brake light illuminates, but barely. Overall it seems that the brightness of the light decreases a little when the brakes are used, even though both filaments are then lit. I don't know what the problem could be, all of the connections seem fine. What would make the brake light filament light up (in addition to the tail light filament being lit) but not be any brighter? Any help would be appreciated.

Almost certainly one of two problems (or both):

1. bad ground connection somewhere in the lighting circuit

2. plain old weak battery.

The XL500S was still a 6-volt system, yes? Try hooking a 2 ~ 6 amp, 6-volt charger to the battery (still connected to system) and repeating the tests. I'm betting you'll find that lights work much better.

Good luck, and keep us posted.

Kirk

Maybe a previous owner wired the light backwards so that the brake light is always on and the running light comes on when the brakes are applied. Dunno, just a WAG. Troy341

WOW, I'm an idiot. Thanks for the simple solution. I tried everything and was beating my head against the wall when it turns out that the wires were backwards. (For some reason brown goes to green and vice-versa on my tail light). Thanks for the advice guys.

Hey man, a good wiring diagram might help you out. This guy has a lot of diagrams posted on his site. He doesn't have your model, but perhaps there is one that is close enough to help you trouble shoot your problems.