Sign in to follow this  

xr600 rattling sound?

i have an xr600 1998 and have a wierd rattling tapping sound when engine is running coming from decompression valve area does anybody know anything about this or had same issue?i know that the valve has a pin and spring inside but what could be rattling????

i have an xr600 1998 and have a wierd rattling tapping sound when engine is running coming from decompression valve area does anybody know anything about this or had same issue?i know that the valve has a pin and spring inside but what could be rattling????

Have you had the rocker cover off and had a look? I have a XR600 engine apart at the moment, as it had a top end rattle and the cam had chewed into one of the exhaust rockers.It was the rocker on the decomp side that was chewed.

Are you referring to the plunger pin and spring in the head, that runs on the auto decomp set up on the cam?

Have you tried disconnecting the decompression cable to see if the rattle goes away. Unfortunately there are lots of moving parts in the top end that could make a rattle sound if they are worn.

ive had rocker cover off today everything looked ok it does seem to be coming from the decompression lever on the cover because when i pull it in a bit it seems to go just before bike cuts out????if i disconect cable what will that show me???ive also tryed adjusting it tighter but im wondering if its the lever on the cover moving side to side in the hole maybe worn?

I have a weird rattle kind of sound once. I couldn't hear it all the time. Under power there was too much noise to hear it. It was most pronounced when comming to a stop and letting the engine rev down to idle. It was my timing chain. My tensioner had given up on it's job and allowed the chain to flop around. With the engine off the tensioner resumed it's duties and I couldn't find anything wrong with a visual examination. A new tensioner and chain fix it right up.

Yea, it could sound like your decompressor or valve but it could be a worn piston or timing chain. If you have a lot of miles on your bike, it would be a simple job to replace piston, rings, timing chain and clean up valve train.

it now only does it from cold how long normally before oil should be getting to the rocker cover top banjo??because once the oil seems to get round it stops???

if it does it cold and goes away maybe its a slightly loose valve? did you check valve clearance when you had the cover off?