Sign in to follow this  

XR600R cam chain tensioner #*#*@

Does anyone here know how to get the cam chain tensioner back in and working, with the cam and chain already in place. With minimum swearing and gnashing of teeth.

The workshop manual I have says you need a special tool to overcome the spring pressure. One of those tools would be hard to come by where I live. Surely there has to be a trick to it.

Compress it with pliers and twist some wire around it. Then get in in position and snip the wire. The trick is to wrap the wire in a manner where you will be able to snip it and pull it back out.

• Like 1

Compress it with pliers and twist some wire around it. Then get in in position and snip the wire. The trick is to wrap the wire in a manner where you will be able to snip it and pull it back out.
A tight fitting allen wrench in the hole usually does the trick.

You do have the service manual right?

Yeah I have a manual, I like the wire idea,last night I was contemplating using a zip tie,but tie wire might be a good idea as you can have a long end hanging out in order to retrieve it once you cut the wire.

I will also give the allen key idea a go to,I tried a pin punch but had none small enough to fit the hole. Thanks guys.

My wife said the neighbours will be happy when I get it back together and stop swearing..LOL

I just put mine back together and had the same questions. I got a plastic tye wrap. I used that and a pair of vise grips. I compressed it a little at a time and tightened the tye wrap each time. When I had it almost fully compressed. I put it back in the head and bolted it in. Then I cut the tye wrap with one hand and had a pair of pliers on it at the same time I pulled it out. Worked great. Good luck Brad

Yep..Get your Tensioner and put it upright in a vice. Stick the Zip tie over it and the spring with the locking mechanism of the Zip tie on the open side of the cam chain/tensioners hole so it'll fit in position..Tighten the tie slowly making sure it doesn't slide up the spring as you do so..When fully compressed pop it in the slot and use a pair of pliers to grab a bit of the excess zip tie poking out of the locking mechanism and then cut it with whatever you can find to fit down there. The ideal thing to cut it would be a thin blade which is heated up to a red hot condition so it goes through it like butter and doesn't leave residule bits to fall into the engine as some sort of serrated edged tool may..Theirs freak all access in there to be doing any sawing movements so I believe heat is the answer.

Thanks heaps guys,I knew there would be a way to do it without using the special Honda tool. I have never used a "special Honda tool" for anything yet as there is always some crafty dude that has gotten around it someway.

I especially like the hot blade idea Horri,(I had actually thought about doing that myself).Good, Karma to you all.

Cheers

Mick

Yeah all is good the cam chain tensioner went in no worries,using akarobs zip tie method. I was then faced with the problem of getting the zip tie out. I did this easily by heating a scalpel with a butane burner until it was red hot and just touched the zip tie and it melted like butter.

The bit I liked the best about the whole top end rebuild caper was that 5 of my mates came round yesterday arvo to have a few beers while I finished the job off. There was a few nervous moments for me when we went to start it for the first time,if I had put it together wrong, I wouldn't have lived it down for some time to come!!LOL

Guess what?? Much to theirs and my amazement it started first kick and ran sweet as!!!!:)

Mick is a happy camper!!

I use an allen wrench and a large screw driver to hold the allen wrench over. the allen wrench will try to push back , but a large screw driver put in next to it holds the allen wrench forward, the allen wrench hits the fat handle on my screw driver holding it over about an inch to keep pressure off the chain.