Sign in to follow this  

650 "R" wiring and lights n blinkers

OK on the new "R"eal bike (the 650R) it came with a "dangerous toys" dual sport kit, uses a box in front of triple clamps that all the wiring goes from to rear lights and such, well the lights are messing up and i dont like the looks of the front plate. It looks like this one, its down justa few the white one called "UFO Dualsport Headlight w/ Flushmounted Turnsignals "

http://www.procycle-online.com/dskits/dskit.htm#dualsportcomponents

and on the back of it there is the electronic box. Besides me not liking the front light the rear needs to go also, nothing works on rear and front blinkers just stay on, i was wanting to scrounge from it and add my own blinkers and head/tail lights, After some research im seeing that the main part seems to be the light/turn signal switch that mounts to left side of bars. Would it be pretty simple to make my own wiring and use that switch and fab up the light n blikers??? I see they use a turn signal flasher, which if the one on the bike doesnt work i can buy pretty cheap, and the other thing im not sure about is the regulator? i see an AC headlight regulator but since the factory had a headlight on it that shouldnt need anything but im wondering if i need to install a regulator/rectifier to make the lights work??? I have one brake light switch on the rear brake, so i know i can add one to front also if i like, they are the type that replace the banjo bolt on line.

im also thinking about adding a trail tech, i saw some and there not that expensive! not the vapor but the endurance. So i know that has nothing to do with the blinkers but would get rid of stock mileage speedo thingy that only hits 99 LOL

inspired since the company that makes the dangerous toys lighting kit is out of business and its a kinda bulky box in front of forks and behind light so front light sticks out, So i wanna see what i would need to do up my own blinkers and brake lights. I dont mind the stock headlight for around town and will add a 8" single for offroad night down the line a little bit.

I am getting ready to build a DS Kit from scratch, and it isn't a real big deal. The lights will work with A/C or D/C, so no Regulator/Rectifier is needed for them, however, it is nice to have a DC system if you want to power any accessories like a GPS. I'm not sure if the flasher unit will work with A/C either, so that may be another reason to go D/C. I know in my case, I am going to use LED turn signals and LED compatible flasher, so DC is definitely needed for them.

• Like 1

so enlighten me a bit about ac dc? stock stator produces AC? and the ______ part is what converts AC to DC? not the biggest on electrical for sure LOL way more a mechanical guy! Where you buying parts to put yours together?

Retifier is the missing word your looking for...I got my parts from baja designs.A small Ni-cad battery pack,regulator\rectifier and the handle bar switching assy. is the main things you need.

• Like 1

i thought it was a regulator/rectifier i have a battery pack in the system now so im hoping i can use those parts and maybe make them work, if not that rectifier isnt much to buy

BD will let you download their wiring diagram, I think. check the website for "istallation instructions".

I can scan mine if they don't let you have it free.

in "93 or so, they were selling Yamaha XT350 switches for their D/S kit for the xr600r.

Or you can call BD, they will sell a "bare bones" setup if that's all you want.

Some people have had trouble with them, but I got a really smart tech on the line last time I called them. very happy.

• Like 1

cool ill check for wiring diagrams, gonna go in garage shortly and take light off and look at what i got going on

well i tore into it and found some bad bulbs, first thing i did is found some small connectors i had in tool box that would fit the charging port and jerry rigged to battery tender, that helped charge battery and R/S blinkers worked but left had bad bulb, brake light was missing a bulb, and only problem now is low beam needs to be tapped to start working, its wierd as the headlight has a running light in it, so guess ill call baja and see if the one they have has same headlight and where i can buy another one. Im gonna try and keep this setup here i guess, see how well the GRP mount fits and if thats fine then ill keep it. I think ima add the trail tech endurance and get rid of stocker mileage meter for sure.

Those schematics helped alot as alot of colors are the same

well i tore into it and found some bad bulbs, first thing i did is found some small connectors i had in tool box that would fit the charging port and jerry rigged to battery tender, that helped charge battery and R/S blinkers worked but left had bad bulb, brake light was missing a bulb, and only problem now is low beam needs to be tapped to start working, its wierd as the headlight has a running light in it, so guess ill call baja and see if the one they have has same headlight and where i can buy another one. Im gonna try and keep this setup here i guess, see how well the GRP mount fits and if thats fine then ill keep it. I think ima add the trail tech endurance and get rid of stocker mileage meter for sure.

Those schematics helped alot as alot of colors are the same

Don't go digital Denn!!! Stay with analog! it's pure, it's simple, it's reliable.

i thought it was a regulator/rectifier i have a battery pack in the system now so im hoping i can use those parts and maybe make them work, if not that rectifier isnt much to buy

if the bike had a battery on it there's a 95% chance it has a rectifier so it can be charged...batteries are DC...so unless it has to be plug'd in externally to charge there's DC/rectifier already there :banghead:

:)

Don't go digital Denn!!! Stay with analog! it's pure, it's simple, it's reliable.

explain my NM brother!!

if the bike had a battery on it there's a 95% chance it has a rectifier so it can be charged...batteries are DC...so unless it has to be plug'd in externally to charge there's DC/rectifier already there :banghead:

:)

yes i can charge it, theres aport on top and i hooked up the batt tender jr to it and it charged it up, checked voltage and it was low 14s for charging, which is spot on! glad i found a plug that works and know now that i can use batt tender.

My sending unit has died on my endurance once in three years. If you take it off (they snap off)before you wash your bike i think they last a lot longer.The thing i really don't like is you can't see it at night.Yet it does have a "temporary on" light.

I would really like to find a simple lighted mechancal(analog) one if i could find one small enough.

so is the trail tech not that liked cuz its digital?? its pretty cheap at like 80 bucks

believe the issue is the high failure rate :foul:

a mechanical speedo while not cheap(about the same price as a TrailTech) shud be bulletproof...sum just use a GPS

i recently installed an ElectroSport DS kit on an R and wud not reccomend it :banghead: cheap components, too heavy, chitty documentation and support...it sounds alot like urs with a metal box behind the headlight.

if i where to do my own R here's wut i wud do...

Rickey Stator, rectifier/regulator(maybe from the L), battery pack, one of BD's headlights/number plates(or the Buell headlights), BD LED tail light, LED turn signals and a gud handlebar switch assembly...i wud make my own wiring harness :)

:banghead:

I still have the stock speedo but will need to relocate since im using a front mount GPR stabilizer, just thought about adding a TT also, not like i need it but with the price it seems like not too bad to add, ill look into some other stuff maybe

YES there is a box behind the light, light mounts to it, and all the stuff is in the box, theres a switch for reserve (running lights/blinkers only) and running (all headlights and signals) so you can keep the headlight off but other than that its the rectifier, batt pack, signal blinker, all the stuff you need. SO thats why i said ill keep it for now. Just have to figure out how to mount a single 8" beam for night riding