Sign in to follow this  

XT 500 Frame Number Assistance Please..with sugar on top..

well here i am popping my forum cherry with what is probably a fairly inane question that may never be read or answered, but in true aussie style, i'll have a crack anyway and see who is up for it.

I have very recently purchased an XT500 with the view to race. i am without a manual at this stage, but have the frame number as 4T9 000985.

Could someone please assist me in identifying the year of this bike so i can get the appropriate manual and bits required etc....etc..etc....

thankyou in advance.

tAX.

I'm going to go way out on a limb here and say XT500 Canadian or at least Non American so maybe Australian 1979 or 1980 so no electronic ignition and no pumper carb on this bike.

well here i am popping my forum cherry with what is probably a fairly inane question that may never be read or answered, but in true aussie style, i'll have a crack anyway and see who is up for it.

I have very recently purchased an XT500 with the view to race. i am without a manual at this stage, but have the frame number as 4T9 000985.

Could someone please assist me in identifying the year of this bike so i can get the appropriate manual and bits required etc....etc..etc....

thankyou in advance.

tAX.

Hi, this is where it is from

Type 4T9 - Modèle 4T9 - XT500 H - Canada, Australie

so it seems that its not so easy on getting to the bottom of this. i have tried for hours on the net searching for info myself before posting this thread but found literally nothing.

so we think its Australian/Canadian, and either 1979 or 1980 model.

regarding a good workshop manual, could someone please reccomend a good one for a hack mechanic...?

thankyou tlinza, bruce d500, 5831t12yo and beezer joe for your initial replies, i feel that i'm on track and appreciate your assistance.

Regards

Tax

ok, i have found some older threads, heres one which does suggest 1981.

nsman12-12-2006, 11:40 AM

4T9 is the model code as in the first three # of the serial number.The number on the frame for the 1981 Xt500H cdn model would be something like 4T9-0001234 .It is interesting to note that the USA version of the XT500 has a model code of 3H6 and has a cdi ign.Up untill yesterday I was unaware that the CDN and USA models were different.Guess there is always something new to learn!

I have a 1978 and a 1979 Sr500 and they both have the cdi system.

And this link suggests it is 1981 also. XT500 H

http://www.dropbears.com/m/models/yamaha/modelcodes.htm

From the information gathered from the trusty internet, it seems that it is a XT 500H 1981 model.

Anyone recomend a good workshop manual and a place to purchase..??

Cheers lads

Tax

factory manuals are always the best and any one for the XT500's would get you by the only real difference between your bike and the older ones is the leading axle forks. and some cosmetic stuff. your engine and electrical is pretty much the same as all XT500's from 1976-1981 since you have points ignition.

The Clymer manuals are junk in my opinion. The Haynes manuals are pretty good. Either is probably available from Amazon.com