Sign in to follow this  

Do all 2 strokes do this? Why?

Idling high when first started on the choke. Every 2t ive been around does it. My KX, My dads CR500 (althought not as high) and my friends YZ125. I dont think its an air leak, unless im lucky enough for the only 3 2ts i been around to have air leaks. Is it normal? Is it bad? It scares me at first, sence im anal/paranoid about reving cold bikes, especially 2ts, but it slows down after a while or i just turn the choke off after about 10 sec and just play with the throttle. Gracias

the choke always will increase your idle.

when the choke is engaged, little or no air is introduced into your mixture in the carb. this makes it run rucher. richer = more fuel to air ratio, which = a bigger explosion. so yes, your fine, its completely normal.

Gotcha, but i would think the opposite. I know 2ts rev like crazy when their about to run out of gas from the lean condition. But it makes sence

Yes it's normal to idle higher with the choke on. The choke circuit adds fuel and air for a richer higher idle. Me personally I only use the choke to start my two strokes, the second they fire up I turn the choke off. Most two strokes are rich enough to not need the choke once they fire. Iv'e seen guys leave the choke on for a minute or two trying to warm it up, and the poor spark plug is drowning in hydrocarbons. It may take longer to warm up due to the excessive fuel keeping it cool.

Thanks, wow, im suprised ive never fouled a plug, i used to leave it on the choke for like a minute all the time. Good Jetting :)

But now i know, ill pluck it down ealier now

im assuming choke? the thing you pull up for a cold start..

accaully no your right i think, its really called a Enrichiner on a 2t right?

I ride a thumper, but when i start it in the cold, like 30 or 40 degrees, i usually leave the choke in for a minute to 2 minutes, and if im really anxious to go, i will ride around in 1st gear with the choke on.. is that bad?

An enrichment jet adds fuel, the mix is lean, overall it's like cracking the throttle open a little.

A choke closes down the effective throttle size and so shouldn't really produce a higher idle.

Dave

my rm250 does the same thing. it worries me because i think its going to cause a cold sieze. the higher idle is for sure normal, but i dont know if its exactly a good thing for the motor

My bike does it, I just shut the choke off as soon as she lights up. no need for it after the thing is started.

"Putz. Get a life. Beaner."

wow, who the hell left me that bad gas? your a ****ing idiot, that makes no sence, and im not even mexican. fall in a hole.

• Like 1

"Putz. Get a life. Beaner."

wow, who the hell left me that bad gas? your a ****ing idiot, that makes no sence, and im not even mexican. fall in a hole.

:):banghead:

you guys need more pilot. all my 2t only reved 50 to 100 rpms more with the choke on when first started in the morning. if the idle isnt coming down by its self with the choke on you are to lean.

Its normal, all engines run lean cold and two strokes exaggerate the high idle more when lean compared to a 4t.

My YZ does it, I just hold the choke halfway on half way off until i feel its "ok" to put the choke on.

If you have your bike set to idle try turning the idle down so it only goes for about 15 seconds and dies then see if when you start it if it still does the same

yeah it still does, i have it set to idle (warm) really low and i wouldnt trust it to idle for more than about 10 sec.

but now im just gonna turn the choke off as soon as it fires, and just baby the throttle.

hey Sky Sky, what I do is just wiggle the choke for a 10 or 15 seconds with one hand on the throttle till it will just run with the choke off and only the throttle. my dad told me to do that, so...i do.