Sign in to follow this  

dumb question about installing bars.........first post

hey everyone names joe and ive been looking around on here for awhile and its been very helpfull. I do not know much about working on bikes and my drz is my first bike. Recently i was cut off and had to lay it down and the stock bars are pretty bent. I am thinking about getting new renthal 7/8 in the stock bend but im wondering what is involved in installing the bars?... do i need to drill any holes will it bolt on and everything slide into place?...... i live in a college dorm so tools are limited so any help will be greatly appreciated. thanks

The stock bars have holes in them for some plastic tabs that are on the perch clamps to keep the levers from rotating on the bar. I chose not to drill the new bar because I wanted more freedom of where to have them rotated than just where the tabs would fit in. When I replaced my stock bar with a Protaper I just trimmed the tabs back a bit with a sharp knife and put a wrap of friction tape under the clamps to keep them from rotating too easily.

Save yourself some time and hassle with the throttle cable housing - remove everything from the bars except the throttle housing, then remove the bar clamps. A lot of folks will try to unclamp the bars last, don't do that. Unclamp the bars before the throttle housing.

With everything free and clear of the bars you can slightly loosen the throttle housing without having to take it all the way apart and then move the bars out of the housing to the left now that everything is free and clear and not clamped down. If you leave the bars in the clamps and try to remove the throttle the cables aren't long enough to allow it to slide off the bars.

Seems obvious but I have seen a lot of guys fight the throttle housing and undue the cables with the bar still clamped in place. Its no big deal but I like to avoid messing with the housing/cables as it makes the job go faster off and back on again :)

Get a new throttle tube as well Suzuki "vulcanizes" the grip onto the plastic tube at the factory. They are basically heat welded on. After slicing and grinding on mine for 1/2 hour I really wished I hadnt let the phone order guy at the TT store talk me out of it. Call Forrest at wheeling he will set you up. I would get a metal on if I ever do it again. Be sure to get safety wire and some Safety wire pliers, nice tool. Check my garage for my fat setup.

Take everything off like said except the throttle. Remove the bars and then the throttle. After putting the new bars on mine i put a little dab of paint on the locator tabs on the control panels. Then after getting them where i wanted i squeezed by hand the two halves together leaving a paint mark on the bar. Drill the mark and install.

The throttle grip was a pita but i used a small slender screwdriver to split and scrape it off followed by a fine wire wheel in my drill to clean up the rest.