Sign in to follow this  

250R Fork/Shock Springs fit 250X?

Hi,

Just wondering if the 07 or 08 250R Fork and Shock spring would fit into my 06 250X?

I'm around the 95kg mark so was looking into getting stiffer springs in both ends and have found these available, also how hard would they be to change out and do you need any special tools?

Jonesy

I'm 90+% sure the springs are the same fit, so you should be fine, although someone else should confirm.

As for tools, you'll need the Showa fork end-cap wrench, which typically has the...umm...clip-slot-thingy (called "stopper" in the image below)...to hold the dampening rod also, although you can buy those separate as well.

tawrench.jpg

It might also be smart to pick up a spanner wrench for setting the preload rings on the shock.

m-08-0029.jpg

And you might as well change the fork seals and oil while you're in there. You'll want a seal driver for that.

arjanwrites_seal2.jpg

harp-seal-baby.jpg

Oh wait, I meant these:

forkdriver[ekm]465x300[ekm].jpg

For reference I'm 190 w/o gear, use 06 R springs. 4.5, 5.3. Bike sag and rider sag dialed in perfect. Fork took a bit of oil height tuning to dial it in.

07, 08 springs will fit, rates may be different.

For reference I'm 190 w/o gear, use 06 R springs. 4.5, 5.3. Bike sag and rider sag dialed in perfect. Fork took a bit of oil height tuning to dial it in.

07, 08 springs will fit, rates may be different.

Thanks Highmarker, from the rickramsey website he states the 07r spring rates as .45 front 5.3 rear same as yours and the 08r as .46 front 5.3 rear.

The Fork Spring Free Length is stated as different between the r & x - what is that and will it make a difference?

How much fork oil did u have to put in? On his site it has 06x as 340cc, 07r as 372cc & 08r as 408cc.

All the springs go in with a little preload, the difference in free length just changes that a bit, a mm or 2 is nothing. I'd have to check my notes on the oil but I ended up somewhere between the X and R spec. I ride tight woods and don't do big MX type jumps, so don't need as much bottoming resistance. I'd start with the 340 then add 10cc at a time till you get it where you want it. I use a small plastic hypo that most drug stores give away free, inject into the air bleed holes. Easier to add than to pull the forks to dump out.