Sign in to follow this  

Scotts Steering Stabilizer Settings?

I just got my Scotts Steering Stabilizer and read through the manual.

what settings are you guys using on your stabilizer for dez riding?

I did a search but lets talk about it and see what you guys are using.

Base/ high speed?

and what are you using for the sweep?

I'm running my stabilzer the way it came from scotts with no adjustments other then 8 clicks out from firm.

I run base settings then turn the pointed knob so it points towards the front axle. Have no idea how many clicks or whatever.

15 degree sweep, 8 clicks out on low speed for normal use, 10 clicks out for sand washes (I have the large adjust knob), in a quarter turn from standard on the highspeed.

15 degree sweep, 8 clicks out on low speed for normal use, 10 clicks out for sand washes (I have the large adjust knob), in a quarter turn from standard on the highspeed.

WHat is the standard setting for the high speed?

I am not sure what it is exactly. I just remember that when I got it the literature said that it was set from the factory and you had no need to remove the cover and screw with it. Well that is just a redlight for me to screw with something. So I etched on my stabilizer where the original position was (there is no detent to this "knob") and started to play with it. I like it the best at 1/4 turn in from where it was at when Scotts sent it to me. When I sent it in to be rebuilt the last time (I now have the stuff to do it at home) it came back with the "knob" set back to the original position. So I moved it back to my "sweet spot."

Im running mine the way it came from scotts. And then depending on where Im at I mess with the big knob. For faster stuff I crank it up for little movement and slower is on the other end of the scale. If you play with it you will get a feel for what you like and how everything reacts.

:banghead::)

... I always love to read how riders buy the SCOTTs for it's adjustability and High Speed capability adjustment.... then, nobody ever really sets the high speed and simply uses "factory".

I like the SCOTTs, but get a 'better' discount with GPR. Plus, they are simple (relatively speaking) for the 'guy' who just likes to "set-it-and-forget-it".

And that SCOTTs "big knob" is the only way to go... coloring one ear of the clover white or bright orange to aid in quick adjustment :)

thanks for the info guys! I know im just gonna have to mess with it out on the trail but just wanted to see what you guys were running. Installing this weekend along with a bunch of other goodies, Ill post some pics when Im done!

its one and a half turns out

I couldn't tell you where my Scott's is set, but I did play with the settings for a long time until I was happy. I remember setting the sweep with the bike on the stand. Everything else was just trial and error. I did make a 1/4-1/2 turn adjustment on the high speed, and low speed I find that I just keep going lighter, after going much heavier to begin with. At this point, the low speed is almost unnoticeable. What I did find is that heavier low speed setting can substantially slow your downhill speed because the bike just doesn't react well. The less low speed you use, the better your downhill speed will be due to better feel for the bike. This is especially noticeable when dropping into a slippery turn on a fast downhill.

Also, the low speed can be a blessing if you aren't the most confident sand rider. Setting it higher will allow you to track straighter through deep sand. But, once your sand skills develop, it becomes a hindrance. One of the guys I ride with runs the GPR and he has had the same experience. The better he got in sand, the more keeping the damper set stiff slowed him down. He has gone from full on in sand to full off. But he likes to twist the knob.

I just keep dialing the low speed down, and at this point I could probably turn it off and pick up a bit more speed. But the Scott's truly is set it and forget it for the most part.

For those of you who haven't played with the low speed settings for a while, give it a shot and let us know what you find when dialing it down.

As for the high speed, it is a life saver, pretty much every time I ride.

Again, it probably has more to do with your normal speed than anything else. The faster you get in the desert, the smoother everything gets. But it does take time to get to the point where you can have confidence in varied terrain, especially relatively straight lines through big rocks, which is where the low speed shines, if you are going slow enough. In technical terrain with lots of turns in big rocks, the benefit is really debatable.

• Like 1

I just checked mine, its 13 clicks out from full hard on the left knob.

Im not going to fuss with the high speed until I talk to someone at scotts.

I may play with my low speed settings now a bit more (stiffer)

Nice to hear what others are using.

I typically ride with mine at 1.5 turns out from full stiff. if Im riding a loooong high speed sand wash i'll turn it up to 1 turn out. If Im riding slower tighter stuff I'll turn it to 2+ turns out all the way to fully open. I've ridden my bike in high speed sand ONE time with it adjusted to full hard.....ONE time....and I almost wadded up, live and learn. :)

The guys at BRP and PC say you really don't need to mess with the high speed adjustment--that's why it has a cap.

For the other "large" knob, 6 or 7 clicks out is for regular desert type riding. Move down to about 4 clicks out for thick sand at speed.

The guys at BRP and PC say you really don't need to mess with the high speed adjustment--that's why it has a cap.

For the other "large" knob, 6 or 7 clicks out is for regular desert type riding. Move down to about 4 clicks out for thick sand at speed.

... I'd say, most owners don't need to mess with it. As there's a top tier who would really notice or benefit from it. But that's just a guess, no field testing or anything. :)

... I always love to read how riders buy the SCOTTs for it's adjustability and High Speed capability adjustment.... then, nobody ever really sets the high speed and simply uses "factory".

I like the SCOTTs, but get a 'better' discount with GPR. Plus, they are simple (relatively speaking) for the 'guy' who just likes to "set-it-and-forget-it".

And that SCOTTs "big knob" is the only way to go... coloring one ear of the clover white or bright orange to aid in quick adjustment :)

The factory high speed changes with damping force adjustment as I understand it so the high speed never really needs to be changed from base setting. I have a new Scotts and it works good and is very durable. I actually prefer the GPR on my 450R for performance reasons but they leak and are not fixable.

On my CR500 I run 1/4 in on high speed and 6-8 clicks out from full hard on lowspeed. On my 450x I'm at stock high speed and 8 clicks out on lowspeed. I cant remember where I have the sweep at but I think it's at 30 deg.

I left my sweep at stock settings, And my low speed never stays in the same spot because of different riding terrains. My high speed is set 1/4 turn clockwise from factory settings, that really helps for those fifth gear square edge bumps. I think alot is personal preference, riding style, terrain, suspension setup, And the bike. On my 300 my highspeed is set at 1/2 turn from factory settings, And my low speed stays almost all the way out. Again two totally different bikes. If I were you I would take a small screwdriver out with you and play with it and see what setting work best.

I just got my Scotts Steering Stabilizer and read through the manual.

what settings are you guys using on your stabilizer for dez riding?

I did a search but lets talk about it and see what you guys are using.

Base/ high speed?

and what are you using for the sweep?

sweeps @ 6 0clock (down) i never touched the high speed.

Have fun!

I painted mine yellow! Now with the pad on just one "ear" sticks out so I know, at a glance, if it's where I normally have it, never need to go more than one click either way from that. Tried to go two clicks tight once and couldn't turn the bike at the next turn, had to lay it down, felt like a real spode!