Sign in to follow this  

Identifying a stripped 'S' versus an 'E'

Hello All: This site is great and I appreciate the information on just about every subject. My question is simple and perhaps foolish but I do not have a title for a bike in front of me. I'm curious about identifying a stripped S version versus a regular E.

1. Is it clearly stated on the title the version of these bikes, the E versus the S?

2. If not, how do you know you don't have the 'S' carbs, are they clearly marked on the carb body? This guy mentioned removing hoses, etc. but not sure exactly what he's done.

3. Are California versions of the bike easily identifiable or is that a matter of identifying the carbs as well OR are all the models the same, regardless of state, when they're an 'E'.

If all this is buried in previous posts, my apologies, but I'm working on this effort as I type. Thanks for any help, Toukow

I'm no expert on the E but it will have Keihen on the carb and it will be slanted forward when looked at from the side (unless of course it is a CA 04 and newer model or 07 49 state model). The mikuni on the S will have a black plastic/rubber top on it. Type in Keihen and mikuni in the search window and you'll turn up lots of pictures. The E will just have an odometer while the S will have a speedo, clock, odometer, trip meter, and etc.

Mine says DRZ400S right on the VIN plate on the steering head. It also says Conforms to all yada yada FEDERAL standards.

The E has different rads/rad fiitings, no chain guard on the swingarm, no passenger pegs and a different subframe, helmet and steering lock, no horn etc.

It can be hard to tell though because a lot of S or SMs are extremely modified and some people will mount an e subframe, E tank etc.

If all else fails the E has the serial number embossed directly in the frame steering column while the street legal DRZ have a plate.

S carb (MIKUNI)

5e81_1.JPG

E carb (FCR)

a17a_2.JPG

Door stop (Edelbrock)

979f_2.JPG

This is what an OEM FCR found on the E model look like (not the MX model). Anything else and it's an S or a late / CA E model.

The OEM carbs all have the TPS. It's easy to distinguish the FCR from the Mikuni GOF1 posted above.

FCR_06.jpg

FCR_05.jpg

FCR_04.jpg

FCR_03.jpg

FCR_02.jpg

FCR_01.jpg

That is a n imitation FCR, send it immediately to

Goebz FCR inspector

449 Inspection Drive

Carburetortown, OHIO O1CU812

LOL

Yeah sure, but is it a GENUINE imitation FCR or just one of the cheap fake imitations?

That is a n imitation FCR, send it immediately to

Goebz FCR inspector

449 Inspection Drive

Carburetortown, OHIO O1CU812

LOL

:):banghead: :banghead: