Sign in to follow this  

Horn wiring

Hi,

Can anyone shed some light on how a horn should be wired up on an 85 XR600R?.I've just fitted a new 12v one,and iam just getting a dull buzz and occasional grating.Got the M.O.T on friday!

Cheers.

what kind of button did you use? exsisting one in a switch? did you use the ground thru the switch??

It seems to be the standard crap,small little metal switch with a black button on top for the horn.

Because the horn was new,i just replaced the old 6v one,thinking that was the problem,and stuck to the same wiring.

Unfortunately,i never looked too close at the wiring,before putting,tank,light etc back on.

If i remember correctly i think,one wire goes to the switch off one of the horn posts,and from the other post,it dissapears along the loom.

Should the horn earth off it's mounting point?.

Cheers.

Gus.

Should the horn earth off it's mounting point?.

Its attached to the frame so I presume it's earthed. If they aren't solidly attached they can make odd noises and not work properly as you describe. Older horns used to have some sort of adjustment screw on them..What it did I dunno..assume volume or something. My 86 XR600 horns pretty wanky at the best of times..sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't..Think it's a bit to do with the lack of Voltage running through the lines as you can see when you put the headlight and indicators on at the same time..Indicators run weakly..

Give it a whack with a large hammer...Joking..Just fiddle with it. They are tempramental sons of b's

Without digging out a manual or pulling things to bits on one of my bikes I can't be certain..Swap the wires around and sort of fiddle with them is the best I can say at the moment..Try that and I'll go get the manual..Heres a wiring diagram http://www.imagef1.net.nz/files/xr600.JPG Have a look at that and work it out from there. Left click the image to make it larger and readable once its up.

unds like mine when the bike is off. Those little RC car batteries dont do much...see if it goes with the bike running, if not just swap the wires. If they are reversed it will also do the same.

unds like mine when the bike is off. Those little RC car batteries dont do much...see if it goes with the bike running, if not just swap the wires. If they are reversed it will also do the same.

This may be it. Horn's need a lot of juice. What condition is your battery in? If it's poor it might not provide enough juice to operate the horn.

Most horns that I have had were not grounded (earthed) through the mount. It has two connectors. One needs to go the the frame and the other to the switch.

The forks and triple clamps don't always have a good connection to the rest of the frame. The electrical path is through the bearings and it might not be a good connection.

Hi folk's,

I forgot to mention,there is no battery on the bike.As far as i know it's not supposed to have one?.

Cheers.