Sign in to follow this  

Needle jet question...

I recently rejetted my stock carb with a JD kit. Went with the stock 155 main, stock 22.5 pilot, keintech extended screw and the JD needle (blue If I remember correctly) at the recommended clip groove. I've got an 05 SM with full Yosh RS3 and 3X3. I ride mostly 2000-5000 ft.

I was still getting a bit of hesitation when I was at a consistent ~25% throttle as when cruising around town @ 35. This seemed to get a bit worse after I removed the spark arrestor. I seemed to get more popping on decel as well so I deduced I may be a bit lean. I ended up moving the clip on the needle down a notch and things seem much better. Little noticeable bogging and reduced popping from the exhaust. As a byproduct though, it seems like my idle is just a tad bit rougher than before. I've tried adjusting the idle and the mix and it's pretty good, almost as before. I'm happy to make this tradeoff but I just wanted to ask the experts here If they think I made the right choice by adjusting the needle. Hopefully my uneducated self isn't overthinking things here causing more harm than good.

I swear, the more wrenching I do the more paranoid I am about every little detail. Is this normal! :)

do a search on pilot circ. test

something like pull the air box cover off is it better

or worse this is off of the top of my head

do a search on pilot circ. test

something like pull the air box cover off is it better

or worse this is off of the top of my head

I did the pilot circuit test. That's why I ended up going back to the stock pilot jet with the keintech screw. The hesitation was more around 25-50% throttle which is why I was narrowing down to the needle for adjustment.