Sign in to follow this  

A question for the ex-sportbikers....

Am I the only one who consistently keeps trying to shift to higher gears while cruising on the highway? I swear If I don't keep track of my shifting I think I'm in 3rd or something and I try to shift up. Weird...:)

Pslamp32, in the beginning I was doing the same thing. Now I know exactly which gear Im running. It just takes getting used to.

Yea, I was always trying to shift into 7th gear. they do make gear indicators...

Yea, If I look at the speedo and I'm going ~60 I kinda assume I'm in 5th but sometimes by the way the engine is revving I swear I'm in 3rd! I'm sure I'll get used to it...

After riding only my DRZ for the last 3+ months,i took my 03 ZX12 out the other day. After getting past the power shock :) The smoothness of a big multi and the low cruise RPM was a nice change.

i think 8 months or so later i'm finally used to it but everyone hunts for 6th gear for a while.

guilty as charged i look for the sixth gear all the time

I get used to 5 only thru the winter, but once the weather warms up and I get out on the R1 more, I'll be hunting for 6th every time I get on the DRZ.

im always looking for 6th. ill be thumpin through the trails in 5th and i keep trying to shift up and im like jeez im already in 5th hah

im looking for 6th as well but now i just look at my speedo and i know what gear im in

Me too, I came off of a ST1300, I miss the comfort and speed at times, but overall, this is by far the most fun bike that I have ever had. The bright side is i am way less likely to get a ticket on this than before.

If you search around someone wired there neutral switch to turn on, in 5th gear as well. just so there not searching for the imaginary 6th gear. We all do it.

Not anymore. I'm running 16-38 so when I'm in 5th and it's not overrevving, I know there's no more gears. Before that, I was always looking for the next gear. Sometimes, I would do it 5 or 6 times in one ride.

Now I have to remember not to forget 6th on my CBR.

Tony

Sometimes, I would do it 5 or 6 times in one ride.

Tony

Haha! Sounds like me!

Has anyone ever tried to add a 6th gear? Is it possible?

Sure I did it. I hooked all my buddies up with a sixth gear too. You mean you havent read the 6th gear mod sticky ? It should be in the DR-Z FAQ.:)

Have the same problem to my other bike , it has 6 gears ,a large GiPro with 1 inch bright blue which shows the gear. Still looking for the 7th gear...

on the z ,it's not so much of an issue .

Makes perfect sense Pete. The bike's not geared for the highway and if your'e used to a bike that'll do 150+

I mean, that's one reason the TE-610 is so popular I think that 6th gear and if you do a lot of street riding a good reason to get one.

Looked into a 6th gear?

MY GasGas 450 is a semi clone of my DRZ. It has a 6th gear. It's nice but for SM use on a bike that can only do 95mph, 5 speeds is enough for me. My CBR can do double the speed of my DRZ and it only has 6 speeds to do the job. So, I've finally come to the conclusion, that for street use with tall gears, 5 will do the job. When I have reason to get into the guts of the GG, I'll have a better idea about whether or not the trannys are interchangeable.