Sign in to follow this  

Can't get into the FAQ manual for grease ?

Can I use White lithium grease on the pivot parts of my pig or is there something better I should use? I'm hoping that there is something that I can use for everything, my bearing buddies on my boat trailer, the zerks on my outboard as well as all the zerks on my pig.

Also, when putting the axles back in, should I lube them up with something as well?

I was trying to see what the FAQ said about the type of grease to use, but the link is not working for me.

I think Kenzo says he uses some sort of water resistant/proof Marine Grease for everything. The next time I buy grease for my gun I'm going to look for it myself. :):banghead:

I think Kenzo says he uses some sort of water resistant/proof Marine Grease for everything. The next time I buy grease for my gun I'm going to look for it myself. :):banghead:

That's what I remember too. I went to my local hardware store and all they had was a "white lithium" grease. On the back it stated that it was for water applications.

I don't know diddly about this stuff and don't want to end up screwing something as important as the suspension linkage by putting the wrong crap in it.

I'm hoping that I can use one type of grease for my trailer bearing buddies, outboard as well as the bike.

Exactly, you can't really go too wrong with fresh grease. I read somewhere that the stuff to look for is 50% lithium? A good marine or heavy duty lithium grease is perfect.

I use BelRay waterproof grease. It's not too expensive and works well. Before that, I used Valvoline grease from Autozone. That worked fine too. Just keep your pivots clean and don't mix grease soap types. I don't think white lithium grease is appropriate for an XR or your trailer bearings!

Marine grease is good.

I will try to get to maintenance of the FAQ soon... Divorce has taken up quite a bit of my free time.

"Carry On, Being XR guys"

Get a good marine grade grease from your boat dealer. You can use it everywhere you've mentioned.

All the marine grade grease that I've seen is green or blue in color, instead of the brown or tan color of regular grease. Although, I'm not sure that really matters.

And like lateapex31 said, Belray is a good grease too, if you want motorcycle grease. I agree with his other advice too.

Molybdenum disulfide grease (NLGI #2)

Sta-Lube makes some with moylbdenum sulfide(.2-.1 % by weight)

Closest thing I've found on the typical auto shelfs.

http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/content/prod_detail.aspx?PN=SL3144&S=N

You can probally use what you like, but to change from one grease base type to another you'd need to remove the part to be greased and clean all the old grease out because mixing greases with a different base can cause it not to lubricate properly. Thats just being on the safe side.

I guess this was soooo confuseing, thats why the newer L's don't have grease zerks, not:bonk:

I put a dab of grease or antiseize on the axles and smear into a thin film, just to keep them from getting rusty.

yeah i coat axle also, GMD as we called it in military like derer said is good stuff but im just using maxima wheel grease, use it on my airfilters too

Marine grease is good.

I will try to get to maintenance of the FAQ soon... Divorce has taken up quite a bit of my free time.

your doing just fine brother!! ill vote me assistant to the pickle mod LOL

Sta-Lube makes some with moylbdenum sulfide(.2-.1 % by weight)

Closest thing I've found on the typical auto shelfs.

http://www.crcindustries.com/auto/content/prod_detail.aspx?PN=SL3144&S=N

That's what I use too. It's a good multipurpose grease and it's easy to find in the mini cartridges, although I use Valvoline synthetic blend in the can if I have to pack bearings manually. I also have some Maxima lithium marine grease I use on air filter bases. While mixing different types of grease isn't desirable, the wrong lubricant is better than no lubricant if that's all you have.

On a side note, CRC also still makes the hard-to-find GL-4 spec gear oil....in case anyone has a vintage car with a manual trans that calls for it.

Marine grease is good.

So I guess it's safe to say that the wife didn't approve of you switching to the dark side either, when you bought your green pickle????:banghead: Sorry, man, I'm just funning ya. I've never been divorced, actually, I've never been married, that way I never have to go through a divorce, nor do I have to ask permission to go fishing, hunting or riding, or have to answer the dread "do these jeans make my ass look fat" because my instinct would be to answer honestly, no honey, your fat ass makes those jeans look structurally unsound.:banghead::foul::)