Sign in to follow this  

klx 300 carb and air

I have a 2005 klx 300 which starts and idles great when opening throttle it bogs actually drops right off if i cover the air box intake it will idle great and throttle right up. So i know i'am not getting enough fuel for the air coming in, i have all stock or i believe all stock parts i'am at basically sea level, i taped off 1/2 of the air intake and bike worked good but i'am assuming there is alot more power to be had. tell me what have you guys done with pilot jet, main jet needle size, air box holes, the spark arrester is also removed from the end of the stock muffler.

You're going to have to do some needle adjustment and re-jetting. The best thing you can do is put a Dynojet kit in the carb. It'll run you around $50. You may or may not have the non adjustable California needle depending on where the bike came from. If you have the California needle, it's not adjustable and you'll have to buy an adjustable needle. If you have to do that, you may as well just get the DJ kit. The DJ kit has a better needle and comes with 3 or 4 jets and instructions for your altitude and bike setup. Meaning, if you have an aftermarket exhaust, airbox lid removed, butt plug out of the stock exhaust etc. Hope this helps and good luck. You'll find lots of write ups on this topic here in TT.

Hey, I'm with GIACO on the dyno jet kit and the free mods but if your bike is totaly stock and it was running fine before you might try cleaning out the pilot jet as the hole in it is about .012 inch. There is a sticky thread at the top of this forum that shows how to install a dynojet kit and you can see the pilot jet in the pictures. You have to clean carbs out every few years to get the dirt and fuel deposits out. The slightest deposit in the pilot jet (Idle jet)will cause your symptoms.

I to agree with Wigley. The pilot jet can clog very easily. When my bike was totally stock and I removed the air box lid. Mine would not even run. It would start but the minute I hit the throttle it would die. As soon as I put in the DJ kit. It was breathing fire again. I did clean the whole carb while doing the kit though. Try the pilot first and then the kit. Or both at the same time like I did. It'll be running again just fine. Go for the FSW header next. About $150 but well worth it.