Sign in to follow this  

Rm 125 will not start in 1st gear??

hey guys, after going riding at a local pit this past weekend i noticed my bike will not start in gear. I dont know why,is it a saftey thing or? With the clutch engaded(sp). Its a 98.:)

Thanks, Mike

yeah, mine was always tougher to start while it was in gear...I think it was just because there was still some friction from the clutch, which made it hard to get the engine speed up...at least while kicking it. Maybe try adjusting your clutch a little bit.

When you put it in gear after starting it, can you feel it pulling a little bit? Or alot?

yeah, mine was always tougher to start while it was in gear...I think it was just because there was still some friction from the clutch, which made it hard to get the engine speed up...at least while kicking it. Maybe try adjusting your clutch a little bit.

When you put it in gear after starting it, can you feel it pulling a little bit? Or alot?

Its definetly pulling a little as i let it out.

It should start in gear. Try adjusting the clutch cable. How much slack is there at the lever?

MY 97 can be the same way. Unless she's fully warmed up she's a real whore to start in gear.

Clutch adjusted properly?

Oil viscosity?

How worn is the basket? Hub?

Are the plates warped?

Start with the simple things like the clutch play and the oil viscosity. Then take a good look at the basket and look for deep notches and inspect the the inner hub for the same.

Good luck

mine doesn't start in 1st either. I felt like a fool when i went to buy my 03 rm125 and i couldn't start it at the guys house. (after a couple of kicks he told me it was in gear so i put it in neutral and it started right up!)

Do you ever see a guy at the races dump his bike and then hunt for neutral to get it started? No; they pull in the clutch, kick it and go. They're meant to start in gear. If they don't, something is wrong.

Do you ever see a guy at the races dump his bike and then hunt for neutral to get it started? No; they pull in the clutch, kick it and go. They're meant to start in gear. If they don't, something is wrong.

100% correct:thumbsup:

With the exception of the tranny being ice cold you should be able to pull the clutch in and kick it right over.

Mine didnt start in first the day i brought it home from the dealership, still doesent it is a 4 stroke but i had a ride on a mates rm250 the other day a 08 model that hes barely riden and its the same wnt start in gear. maybe its just suzuki

My friend had the same issues. Might sound dumb but he switched oil and went with Amsoil 0w-40 and it reduced the clutch drag and now starts right up in gear.

I got a 98' RM 125 and it starts right up in first however it sometimes take an extra kick. But when I start it in neutral and shift to first I can feel it pull more than I think it should. Is it just me or is that bad??

You'll get some driveline lash when shifting into first from neutral if the idle is too high.

I find mine is easier to start in gear than in neutral; TDC is easier to find on the kicker. Maybe it's just me....

MY 97 can be the same way. Unless she's fully warmed up she's a real whore to start in gear.

LOL i see you like to talk dirty to your girl, i do the same shhhh i sometimes beat on her 2 LOL....:)

^yep so is mine, i was thinkin something was wrong with it, but maybe its a RM thing

Thanks for the input guys, I tried it today and it fired right up in first so i dont know maybe it wont stasrt in gear when its cold? lol