Sign in to follow this  

Help On Fitting New Rings To Piston !!!

Hi, Hope to get some advice on the correct way to fit rings on 1992 xr600r new piston, i have had conflicting ways of doing it so i hope some one out there can give me the right advice, i have read the manual but it too is not really specific about where to place all the gaps !!! Hoping some one can tell me in relation to the piston "IN " mark and work clockwise from there ?Does this make sense ? Also there was no instructions with piston/ring kit which of the 2 top rings goes first ? One looks a copper color the other a dark metal color ?

Thanks again Andrew

According to my manual..Position the "IN" mark towards the carb (Intake side) Stagger the compression (1st and second) and oil rings (Side Rails) 180 degrees apart..After install the rings should be free to rotate in their grooves..I'm looking at an old Piston here with rings on it and I can't see any copper coloured ring..The marks on the rings go up if you can see any..I can't..

And from my other manual..Install the Oil ring spacer first..then the side rails New oIl ring side rails do not have a top and bottom designation (ie either way up does) Looking at a picture of the ring positions just make sure none of the gaps are at the same point..applies to both the oil side rails as well,,they should all be spaced at different intervals,,

Also do not install any of the ring gaps at the 12, 3, 6, or 9 o'clock positions if the wrist pin is at 3 and 9.

If I recall right the dark metal ring is the top ring and the copper colored one is the second ring.

Also do not install any of the ring gaps at the 12, 3, 6, or 9 o'clock positions if the wrist pin is at 3 and 9.

whys this?

Thanks for all the help i will sort through it all and hopefully get this right. The rings OEM are distinctly different colors one is dark metal and the other is the "chrome" one i think, i will check the gaps and try it out !!!

whys this?

Thrust surfaces.

If the ring gaps are mounted in those locations they tend to gouge the cylinder walls.

As for the ring gaps be sure to measure them and get them in spec. Tight rings do ugly things to engines.

again thanks, there is some conflict as to which ring goes on top. Some say the dark colored one others say the copper colored one ?? does anybody know for sure which one ???

According to my service manuel it states that the top ring will have a straight cut when looking at it from a side view second ring will have a bevel cut when looked at from side view. Hold them up and see if one has a different grind or bevel if so it goes in the second groove. make sure that upward mark faces up, mark sometimes will be a small letter or number.

Measure them.

The top ring is going to be thicker than the bottom. The difference in thickness should be enough that the thick ring will not fit in the thin ring's groove, or at least it will be noticeably tight.

Thrust surfaces.

If the ring gaps are mounted in those locations they tend to gouge the cylinder walls.

As for the ring gaps be sure to measure them and get them in spec. Tight rings do ugly things to engines.

the funny thing is i find rings will move after time, ive rebuild engines and always put them on in a certain way and when rebuilding they are moved a bit, never in the exact same direction they were before, this alwasy made me wonder how it affected anything if there was such an issue

I still say the best way to tell is measure the gaps.

The top ring minimum gap is .008" - .016"

The second ring minimum gap is .014" - .022"

They will probably measure to the lower side of the tolerance range also - .010 top ring and .015 2nd ring.

The shinier chrome one will have the smaller gap.

OK quick update, I put a call into local Honda dealership today and mechanic confirmed chrome ring on top and darker ring second so thats how it went together tonight. Got the barrell back on but could not put head on due to 1 missing allignment dowl, so will have to wait till tomorrow. Thanks for all the info and tips this really is a great resource to have at hand.

Andrew