Sign in to follow this  

New Member 2001 WR250F Starting problems

I just got my first high performance 4 stroke 2001 WR250F after riding Xr's and Xl's for yrs. The bike appears to have the throttle stop and gray wire removed, and it has a full pipe header combo with a WB e-series muffler. I will be removing airbox lid for more air. What would my jetting be at a altitude of say 800 to 1500 ft, about the elevations I ride. it will not start reliable and is driving me nuts. One day it will start and the next it will not? Sometimes it will start and run for 30 seconds then quit. It looks to have been to have been used little, stock tires chain etc. What would my jet sizes be etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated, The new Guy, :)

Given the age of your bike, starting problems can often be a good indicator the your valves are beginning to go. Checking your valve clearances would be the first thing I'd look at.

Jetting is also a possibility, so you can check out the jetting database here: http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=311954

See how the bikes there compare to your year, altitude, and weather conditions.

Once the valves are verified (and fixed as needed), the JD kit is highly recommended.

Further, your starting can be eased by the addition of an 03 exhaust cam. This cam has auto-decompression and makes starting a snap. If it hasn't already been modified this is $110 well spent.

Do a search in this forum on these items, and you'll find lots of good info.

Welcome to TT.

Thanks for the info, I don't have a maintenance manual yet, still looking for a factory one, are there any articles here on the forum on how to check valve clearance and what mine should be ? Around .004?