Sign in to follow this  

License plate bracket question (KLX 250S 07)

I'm a total newb when it comes to this stuff, and I'm only 15, so give me a break.

I hate how the low license plate hangs on my 07 KLX 250, so I'm thinking about shortening up the bracket. Thing is, the light over the license plate that lights up the plate at night needs to go, and I'm wondering if this is required for the bike to be street legal, as the bike is my way of getting around. I live in Newfoundland, Canada, if it helps.

i would assume the light for the plate is needed. i would not remove it or figure out a way to move it up when you shorten the plate bracket.

i have a custom made plate bracket and instead of a seperate light for my plate, i cut a 1/2 inch by 2 inch wide slot in the bottom of my brake light so that there is 'white' light constantly shining down towards the plate. its works nicely. i also took some clear plastic i had laying around and epoxyed it to the inside of the red lens to seal off the hole, so dirt doesn't get into it.

granted, my rear light cost $7. i would highly recommend not cutting drilling or fabbing your stock tail light if you aren't handy with a drill, saw, or tools for that matter as a stock light is a bit more expensive than a $7 autozone special.

Hey Zach, nothing wrong with being 15...I wish I was 15 again....:) Anyway, take a look at this thread, and feel free to send me pm's if you need help. Good luck man, oh and congrats on the bike, I have 10,700 miles on mine, its a 2006 and I love every minute spent on it. Peace.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=736696

i would assume the light for the plate is needed. i would not remove it or figure out a way to move it up when you shorten the plate bracket.

i have a custom made plate bracket and instead of a seperate light for my plate, i cut a 1/2 inch by 2 inch wide slot in the bottom of my brake light so that there is 'white' light constantly shining down towards the plate. its works nicely. i also took some clear plastic i had laying around and epoxyed it to the inside of the red lens to seal off the hole, so dirt doesn't get into it.

granted, my rear light cost $7. i would highly recommend not cutting drilling or fabbing your stock tail light if you aren't handy with a drill, saw, or tools for that matter as a stock light is a bit more expensive than a $7 autozone special.

Mind posting some pics?