Sign in to follow this  

Cutting springs, how far is too far?

Could i safely cut down a stock KLR650 spring (0.40kg/mm, 492mm long, 31mm OD, 4.3mm WD, 48.5 coils) by 20% to turn it into a 0.48kg/mm spring?

This would mean cutting about 10 coils from it and making up a spacer about 100mm long to replace these missing coils. I know that the compressed length would increase due to the solid spacer, but is 20% going too far or could i go further if i was careful?

I actually need to get 0.58kg/mm springs, but they are not available off the shelf in Australia and I have looked at getting custom springs made but no one is able to source chrome silicon steel at the moment here (i've been told that normal spring steel is not adequate). My only option looks to be cutting down the stock springs, but i feel ike a bit of a cowboy doing it.

Dave.

I would imagine removing that many coils will cause the springs to become coil bound before full compression is reached.

Can't you get some airbagged in from the States in a couple of days?

I would imagine removing that many coils will cause the springs to become coil bound before full compression is reached.

Can't you get some airbagged in from the States in a couple of days?

Possibly, to be honest though i wouldn't know where to start looking... would MX tech supply something llike that? I know that RT don't. I might go looking through some websites.

Thanks Dave

Have you tired the Aussie Eibach distributor?

Eibach Suspension Technology Pty Limited

3 / 4 Prosperity Parade

Warriewood NSW 2102

Ph ..61 / 2-9999-3655

Fax ...61 / 2-9999-3855

eibach@eibach.com.au

Cannon Racecraft, in the States are not the best quality and have a poor website, but they might be worth a try.

Your springs would coil bind if you took off that much. Also, you will probably have problems fitting a .58kg spring into those forks. The wire diameter would have to be so large that they probably couldn't physically make such a spring.

Why a .58? Do you weigh 400 pounds?

Your springs would coil bind if you took off that much. Also, you will probably have problems fitting a .58kg spring into those forks. The wire diameter would have to be so large that they probably couldn't physically make such a spring.

Why a .58? Do you weigh 400 pounds?

Almost... I am setting them up for 2 guys who are riding around the world to raise awareness for prostate cancer... they each weigh 100kg and are carrying 70kg of gear, so the bikes are pretty loaded.

They have left their run way too late as they are due to leave in about 10 days with TV cameras and news crews etc watching. Not sure what i'm going to do. So far everything has lead to a dead end... cutting springs is the only option and not a very good one it sounds like.

OK how luck can change...

Just this minute got off the phone with Terry Hay, they've just received an order of new release vintage springs... got one thats 30mm OD, 500mm long and comes in at 0.48kg/mm... perfect!!! Just a couple of days ago they themselves said i had next to no chance!