Sign in to follow this  

Calling all dodge dakota owners

looking at a 2002 dodge dakota with the 4.7 v8 in it with 35-36k miles on it for 9k. Everything on the truck looks too perfect for the price. I did notice however that the oil pressure gauge sits just below the 3/4 mark. Not sure if this is normal for this truck and engine. I do know the ramifications if the oil pressure is too high or why it would be high. So if anyone has any input that would make my week because i really need a pickup and this would be nice. Thanks!!!

not a hundred percent sure since i have th 5.9L but mine sits around that area so u should be good..id be more worried if it sat real low.

I worked as a Dodge Tech and the 4.7L are very solid motor. I wouldn't be to concerned about the oil pressure.

Just really check it over:

How is the oil? (black, thick, dirty, do you get a hint of gas when you smell it)

How are the ball joints? (they did have recall on them)

Pull out a sparkplug.

Check tire wear.

If you have anymore specific questions just PM me. I can pull up chrysler, jeep, and dodge Technical Service Bulletins.

• Like 1

The gauge doesn't mean anything, it's a glorified idiot light. Without putting a mechanical gauge on it, just ignore the one on the dash. It's going to read "high" any time the oil pressure is above the switch setting of 8psi or so.

Edit: it's also never a bad thing to have high oil pressure, save for potentially blowing up oil filters. But you need 150+ psi for that to happen...

• Like 1

You ever seen a Dakota like this? I took this at Blue Diamond the weekend before last. Didn't get to talk to the owner; I didn't notice it until my way out, and nobody was near it. Pic is a little screwed up, but it was from my phone.

1236456377844.jpg

The gauge reading is normal... it will swing across the entire normal range while in use. Spike00svt is right that motor is solid. I have over 165k on my truck and it still runs strong. Just make sure you check it over thoroughly. 7 yrs old with only 35k miles is only 5k a year... Did the current owner actually use the truck?

Sounds like you found a decent truck. The price isn't too cheap like you worried about either. For an 02' I wouldn't give $9k unless its a crew cab 4x4.

Would not worry about the oil pressure at all. And as far as that 6x6 one that may be a import from Aussi or somewhere. Unless he made it.

yea its a quad cab sport in really good condition...the reason i ask is because its at a used car lot around where i live. everything seems ok but what really could be going on on the inside is a different story. The only reason i ask about the high oil pressure is because some things ran through my mind like...is the oil pressure high because of thick oil to cover up a problem?...or is it high because of a clogged pickup with metal shavings that means the engine is eating itself...all are possible but i think i got lucky now let hope the salesman takes my offer of 7800 haha thanks guys!!

I have an '02 with the 4.7 and just under 100k. It's been super reliable. My gauge reads real low but like someone said above the gauges don't seeem to be real accurate or consistant from truck to truck. http://www.dodgedakotas.com/

the way the gauge acts is normal. at idle, mine is all the way to the left and as i start driving its goes up to around 3/4. the only time its peg'd is when im not the gas :banghead:

I have a 02 2wd 4.7 and this truck is perfect for me. Basic matiance and she runs like a top with 71k miles on her. I can tow my toyhauler no problem, fit two bikes in the back. the only real mods i have done is lifted it and added a superchips (btw the superchips is worth every penny!) Buy the truck its awesome :)

2008thanksgiving086-1.jpg

P2280001.jpg

P2280003.jpg

P1020043.jpg

PA130007.jpg

PA060001.jpg

Like was mentioned previously...check the ball joints...see if the recall was done. They are a weak link.

I worked as a Dodge Tech and the 4.7L are very solid motor. I wouldn't be to concerned about the oil pressure......

Are you joking?? The 4.7 is only one click above the infamous 2.7 disaster in the Intrepid.

I've heard more horror stories about the 4.7, than any other truck engine in 20 years. Valvetrain issues, oil leaks, SLUDGE problems (sound familiar?)

yea my gauge reads lower than th halfway mark at idle but goes up to 3/4 mark once i accelerate. 4.7s are good motors, 5.2 would be better but thats a good price and th dakotas are badass trucks all around. i can fit 3 full size bikes in th back of mine plus some gear, ive got th club cab tho, not quad cab. but ive got no complaints on room inside th truck!

if u end up gettin it, check out dakota-durango.com, its a killer site and will answer most of ur questions.:)

Are you joking?? The 4.7 is only one click above the infamous 2.7 disaster in the Intrepid.

I've heard more horror stories about the 4.7, than any other truck engine in 20 years. Valvetrain issues, oil leaks, SLUDGE problems (sound familiar?)

i was thinking the same thing. those motors will sludge up if your not strict on your maintenance. thats another reason why it could be running a little high on oil pressure.

ive put my fair share of 4.7l short blocks in dodges over the past 5 years. but every one i changed had a fram oil filter on it and you couldnt see the valve springs becuase of all the sludge.

That's a stretch. They are stout little trucks compared to the competition. Ever own/drive an S10 with an auto/2.8L? Crappiest combo ever. At least the 4.7 has decent power, plus super strong trannies and rear diffs.

The "sludge" problems seem related to poorly maintained engines. I change my oil every 3K, and use mopar filters. I've also read about the "horible" brakes, but did mine at around 60K and all is still good. They did have a recall on the upper ball joints I think, but I have fabtech arms with heavier duty joints, so no problems here.

I agree with 123BigcoopDawg576 about the superchips tuner. I bought one just to calibrate for larger tires, but it runs stronger and shifts hard, barking my 33s on the 1st to 2nd shift.:)

P1010176.jpg

194.jpg

well for all those people who 'HEAR' things i wanted to know personal experience...i keep all my things in tip top shape so i dont intend on stretching an oil change but thanks for the heads up...bought the truck and for the first 5hrs of ownership i think/hope that the truck does what i need it to do. Thanks for all the nice and helpful info guys! later on

I have an '01 Dak, lots and lots of mods!

The only thing I don't like about it (and most Doges of that era) is that Dodge put in the cheapest rubber hoses they could find! I'm always getting engine lights coming on for "Evap system failure" and it's always some little hose that's cracked and it can't pass it's own pressure test it does from time to time (there a little pump under the battery tray that tests the integrity of the evap system).

Other than that make sure it has it's ball-joints replaced. It was a factory recall.

PM me on the mods. I got quite the list. You can add a lot of hp and torque pretty inexpensively on the 4.7L.