Sign in to follow this  

Common engine noise vs. uncommon CRF250r.

I recently went to look at an 08 crf250r for sale. The bike had been raced 10 times in hair scrambles races and was ridden pretty hard, but still seemed maintained well. When trying to find top dead center, before starting, I heard a "click" coming from the engine, which I assumed was just a valve closing. (I am also assuming this is normal for the crf.) The bike ran well, but it seemed to have a bit of a ringing noise coming from the engine that I'm not used to hearing on my 426. It is definitely coming from inside the engine, and I believe it has something to do with the valves. (single cam vs. dual, maybe) Does that indicate that the valves need to be replaced (and probably the piston etc. along with it?) The seller claims he has replaced the piston and valves twice already in the past year, but that "it may need new one's again." Is there a point where the engine just wears out over time that could cause some play in the engine causing more noise and at what point if ever do you just say, "This engine is done"?:) Thanks for the help!

That "click" is the decompresser closing. Nothing to worry about.

Click is normal. Hard to diagnose the other engine sounds over the internet though. They are noisy motors though, even when there are no issues.

Thanks guys, but the only thing that concerns me is that the engine on the bike he was selling sounded differently enough from the new 09 that he purchased just recently. I guess the only question I have left is, "What sound does the top-end make when the valves and piston need to be replaced?" I know sounds are hard to convey through the internet, but any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

as long as it doesnt sound like quarters rattling around in the motor your good to go! of course the used bike wont sound like a brand new 09, the 09 has a brand new motor. Most likely you are hearing the valves and the cam chain, both are noisey in used motors. Replace the whole head with valves cam cam chain the whole bit and you might get close to the sound of the 09!

My '04 does that too. I just bought it last month, been on 2 strokes for 20 years, so I'm kinda new to the "big bike" 4 strokes, been racing/building pitbikes for 4 years though.

I didn't notice it when I picked it up from the guy, brought it home and fired it up, my heart sank a little when I heard a light clicking at very low idle (almost stalling) goes away with slightly higher rpm. I was told it was fine from my buddy who was a kawi tech and is still a 250f guru, checked the vales anyway, haven't moved since stock (This thing wasn't ridden much at all, clutch and ignition cover have minimal boot wear)

I guess as long as it doesn't sound like someone threw marbles in the engine it'll be fine, with all the moving parts in a modern 4 stroke race bike engine there's bound to be a few clicks and ticks.

as long as it doesnt sound like quarters rattling around in the motor your good to go! of course the used bike wont sound like a brand new 09, the 09 has a brand new motor.
I guess as long as it doesn't sound like someone threw marbles in the engine it'll be fine, with all the moving parts in a modern 4 stroke race bike engine there's bound to be a few clicks and ticks.

Thank you! I'll be replacing the valves, piston... and possibly even the cam and cam chain if I pick the bike up, which, at this point, I think I will. You guys have been a real help. I'm about to be baptized into the red world of Honda and can't wait to get on the track. Thanks again! :)