Sign in to follow this  

Rent a GG for the SSDT

what is ssdt?super sonic dirt track?those bikes will be sold cheap after that,kinda like minders bikes

where do you think they get the economy bikes....Just just kidding...:)

I can see the Ad now - only ridden in one event....

The Beta Uk , Sherco and Montesa Importers all do the same.

Minder bikes get a ridden on a 5 km loop for a few days at a World Round. The SSDT bikes get worked hard for 6 days. An average day is about 80-90 miles across the moors and roads plus 30 sections a day. I'll take a minder bike any day.

Most American trials riders are not interested in riding the SSDT. I would bet that more Canadians have ridden the Scottish over the years than have Yanks. It's a tough ride but if you are up to it is the greatest trial in the world.

30 sections... that's a normal event... however 80-90 miles standing up is not my idea of fun unless it's like all flat roads where u can just put it in high gear and keep the throttle pretty close to wfo

30 sections... that's a normal event... however 80-90 miles standing up is not my idea of fun unless it's like all flat roads where u can just put it in high gear and keep the throttle pretty close to wfo

The sections are not like a club trial. Neither is the loop. 30 sections ridden 1 time each. All slippery rocks and boulders and 100 yards long. Barely enough time to walk it quickly and impossible to memorize a line. Just note the big hazzards and ride, true "no stop" scoring. Cold, wet, rain, snow you are frozen by the time you get to the first section. Time on the loop is tight. 80 miles is an average, some days are well over 100 miles. Mostly cross country, the rest is roads and trails. Crossing the Moors is tough, its like one long mud/peat bog. Riders so tired that they fall asleep when they get back to the hotel, in their riding gear. A rider told me that on day 4 after a getting stuck in a bog for the umpteenth time, they sat down on the loop and cried. Geoff Aaron rode it a few years ago and got 61st, I think. You get my point.Some of it ain't fun, its tough. All finisher awards are truly earned.

SSDT = Scottish Six Day Trials. Bikes are impounded at the end of the day so it's a test of your bike as well as the rider.

This is probably THE primary reason your Trials Bike has a very tall 5th or 6th gear, for this one prestigious event. This event is as important for the manufacturers as it is for the riders.