Sign in to follow this  

How "screwed" up am I?

Riding home from work tonight, on a back-road two lane, I noticed my bike popping and cackling on decel. I stopped to check it out and found the works connection fuel screw I had installed was missing. :)

So, the bike would no longer idle. I was about to call for help when I had a thought (probably not a good thing). I pulled the choke, fired her up and then went to the "half-choke". I'm not sure what to call it, it's the first detent on the choke rod. It ran, and got me home just fine. The oil looks okay, and the temp light, nor fan ever came on.

Two questions: First, did I hurt my engine? Second, what caused the screw to back out/fall out? No, I didn't forget the o-ring or the spring. Yes, I realize this is the fuel screw for an FCR carb and mine is still stock. So, where did I go wrong? Has this happened to anyone else? How did you fix it?

Vibration, gravity bad luck. I put a couple of my daughter's rubber bands from her braces on the end of the threads for a little resistance.

Vibration, gravity bad luck. I put a couple of my daughter's rubber bands from her braces on the end of the threads for a little resistance.

I wondered about this fix. I thought about using a needle washer carved down a little to "preload" the spring. Would this work, or is it as retarded as most of my ideas?

I've also thought of trying a different brand of fuel screw. Other than it's cool shape, the works connection screw isn't that great in this particular application. Not down on WC, I've used their stuff on my MX bike and Woods bike, both with good results.

I had one fall out. I bought a stainless one from Stealth Racing and also bought their spring/washer/ oring kit as well. The thing never moves now, good stuff.

Thanks for all the good suggestions. I bought a Moose brand fuel screw today, turns out to be a Zip-Ty branded with the "M". And it comes with the preload washer, stiffer spring, and a new o-ring. Installed. Zero vibration, zero play...insert happy dance here. Problem solved, thanks again.

Look at my avatar. You ain't got shit on me :)

I got the MSR. It's got a second O-ring further down the shaft and is numbered so you can see if it has budged. It hasn't.