Sign in to follow this  

Need some help on an 08 valves must read story

I am working on a friends 08 honda and I am setting the valves. What should the exhaust and intake be set at? This guy has 4 hondas that he brought to me. All bikes have no oil on air filter and had tons of dirt in the intake boot. 2 bikes had 0 lash in the valves on intake side. They drained the engine oil and put the oil back in on the clutch side. so no motor oil and 2 qrts in the clutch side. these poor bikes are in bad shape. But I could use some help on what the lash is on both and what is the torque for the cam hold down.

Valves are toast. Search posts for valve lash. It will only last a ride if you adjust the valves though.

.006" on the intakes, .011" on the exhausts, decompression clearance is the right exhaust valve clearance plus .014".

I never use a torque wrench on the cam holder assembly bolts, I just go by feel. I've snapped one of those bolts before using a torque wrench. It is not fun trying to get a broken bolt out of the head.

• Like 1

The valves are done, they may last for one good ride, and if he lets the bike cool down during that ride, it wouldnt suprise me if it wont restart, the dirt in the intake has probably made it to the valves, and worn through the coating, so they wont seal right.