Sign in to follow this  

Help I need some opinions. Should I buy this bike? DR-Z400S

Well I just got back from looking at a 2006 Suzuki DR-Z400S and I would like to hear some opinions on it. I am looking for something a little bigger to replace my TW200. I personally don't like suzuki but nobody else builds an off road on road bike this size so maybe I will give them a chance. The bike looks new, with 7,700 miles. The tires are like new. Seems to run perfect. The guy said the lowest he will go is $3500. I think book value on it is about $4000. I think I have it narrowed down to this bike or a new wr250r. I want mainly something to drive on the street so I think this will be the better bike. Plus a new wr250r is more than I want to spend.

So unless somebody can talk me out of it I think I will call the guy in the morning and tell him I will take it.

So what does everybody think?

thanks

I'd buy it if I had the money and it looked as nice as you say. The DRZ-400 is a good bike but is kind of heavy for serious off road riding.

If you don't like Suzuki, don't buy it.

I happen to think Suzuki makes a great product. Consider the Gixxer, the 'Busa, RM 250, and the DRZ. Sure, the DRZ not a light weight racer, but that's not what I want. I went from a CRF250X to my DRZ and couldn't be happier. I like 1000-mile oil changes, instead of 100 mile oil changes. I've done oil sampling, and according to the lab I can go as far as 2000 miles or more before a change, but I won't do it. It fires up every time, and runs great even when run hard and put away wet.

Assuming the bike has been maintained, it will give you years of trouble free service. Plus, you've got Thumpertalk's biggest forum to gather information from. The DRZ truly *is* a great bike.

I love my DRZ. I only weigh 155lbs and while the bike is heavy, it's a blast to ride.

If you don't like Suzuki, don't buy it.

I happen to think Suzuki makes a great product. Consider the Gixxer, the 'Busa, RM 250, and the DRZ. Sure, the DRZ not a light weight racer, but that's not what I want. I went from a CRF250X to my DRZ and couldn't be happier. I like 1000-mile oil changes, instead of 100 mile oil changes. I've done oil sampling, and according to the lab I can go as far as 2000 miles or more before a change, but I won't do it. It fires up every time, and runs great even when run hard and put away wet.

Assuming the bike has been maintained, it will give you years of trouble free service. Plus, you've got Thumpertalk's biggest forum to gather information from. The DRZ truly *is* a great bike.

Well I guess I haven't really given them a fair chance to make an impression on me. I had a 1991 dr350 for a few months. I hated it because it was hard for a guy as small (150lbs) as I am to start it. By the time I got it started I was too tired to ride it. It did feel surprisingly smooth and well built.