Sign in to follow this  

big woods 200 wabeno wisconsin

Just for the record the spring ride is the Ride for Research where the WDSR donates all proceeds to the University of Wisconsin Comprehensive Cancer Center.

We are also raffling a DRZ400 at the event, and you can buy your tickets online.

I'll be there, but I'll be riding my R100GS on the Adventure route.

My son and i will be there we have been to two of the spring rides and 3 of the fall rides. Great riding!

Do you have to be present to win?

Nope. But you are responsible for picking up the prizes.

Just so everyone knows, what we do is take the online ticket orders and fill out the same paper ticket as you can buy in person. On the night of the drawing (during the R4R), all the paper tickets are thrown into the same bin and the winners are drawn while the whole riding contingent watches.

It's Memorial Day weekend right? I'm doing the the BW200 for sure not sure if I'm gonna make the spring ride.

I just bought my first dual sport, i've had bikes before, but i'm a 'C' rider at best. I'm just wondering how talented a guy has got to be, or would i embarasses myself? I just got my bike last year a week before the BW200 and rode up to Athlestine, just short of Wabeno and chickened out. I'd like to go meet some people and check things out this year. I guess i'm picturing alot of mud and roots and that's not my strong point, lol. Thanks, Mike.

I just signed up,had a great time on the fall ride even though we had monsoon rain,it was still fun.

OK, lets start with the date! It's May 30/31, the weekend after Memorial day.

Skill. If you can ride your bike, you can do either or both rides. The toughest parts are the "Hero" sections. These are fairly tight single track and are optional. You don't need to ride them at all. Otherwise, the main route goes through some ATV trail and 2 track forest service roads, a lot of gravel roads and some pavement. There are a couple of big BMW GS's that do that route every year.

Keep in mind, it's not a race it's a RIDE:ride:. You don't get points or trophies or even recognotion for finishing first. If you need to piddle along and take breaks or snap some pictures, you'll probably be in with a decent percentage of people that do that too. If you feel you are over your head in any section of the ride, well you hop on the highway and head back!

Some additional info.

We (WDSR) are imposing a 96 Db limit on the exhaust. ALL bikes will be tested prior to riding. If you are a DB or 2 over, we will work with you to quiet your bike down, but if you come up with a full race system installed, chances are you won't be able to ride.

If you have a stock system, you should be ok. Most spark arrested systems also test good.

what part of wi. is this held in ? where is it close to ? sounds like fun, thanks

The ride is based out of Wabeno, WI and covers areas in Forest and Marinette county.

Lets not forget all proceeds from the Ride for Research goes to cancer research. The club wrote a check to the Comprehensive Cancer Center in Madison for $16000 (I can't find the actual number though, but it was close!) last year.

I may make it. Do you need a AMA membership too? How about any trail stickers? Plus $75? Camping $$$? Uf da, that's expensive... :thumbsup:

not sure if you need the ama card for the spring ride,someone else will chime in on that,as for camping thats free,they even have nice showers that are free,the $75.00 is well worth it,I would think that includes some meals to,it did on the fall ride,a nice big steak.

You do need to be an AMA member because the ride is part of the AMA Dual-sport series. You can purchase the membership at the event if need be. This is an AMA District 16 points paying event too, so if you are a District 16 member, we'll be having a poker run for rider points.

The $75 pays for the ride, Saturday lunch and supper and breakfast on Sunday. Camping is free at the fairgrounds in downtown Wabeno. Trail sticker for Marinette county is included in the $75.

For the spring ride, we go to Madonna Hall (where breakfast was for the fall ride) for Saturday supper. We used to have it at the fairgrounds, but there were acouple years where it was just too cold after riding, so it got moved to teh inside. The Wabeno Lions do a great job with supper, and you will not go away hungry!

I'm in! Bringing brother inlaws Jim and Michael! Meeting Frank and his kids there. So 6 total. We have done all the fall rides and this will be our second spring ride. Looking forward to it.

this is kind of a stupid question but would i be able to ride the trails with my sm tires?, i dont have a set of knobbies but would like to run the event.

this is kind of a stupid question but would i be able to ride the trails with my sm tires?, i dont have a set of knobbies but would like to run the event.

If you stick to just the route and don't do hero sections, you might be able to do it. If it has been raining, there will be some muddy sections, but tip-toe plodding would get you through.

Officially, I would recommend against it unless you have a set of aggressive SM tires.

Where can I go to find out more info / route / or what a typical day is like for the ride? I ran across a bunch of the fall riders while atving with my family last year and they were having a great time minus the downpour, I have a huskey te and had planned to ride this year but my friend has not sold his kx and he is waiting to buy a ktm till then. I know the bike has to be licensed to ride in the event so I may be riding alone or may just stop up to check it out then shoot for fall. what type of gear do you wear and bring with you? Thanks