Sign in to follow this  

Holy Crap!!!

So I've completed the Dave's Mods on my '08L now and Man, am I pleased!! I took the snorkel off about a month ago, then this past weekend I got my jets in the mail and went to work. I was surprised at how easy it was, I guess I had prepared my myself for a uncertain journey, but using the instructions on 4strokes.com along with the accompanying pictures really helped alot.

As far as performance, there is a definite improvement compared to stock! I am greatly pleased with the results. Obviously this is all per butt dyno, but I felt great gains in power, especially in the lower gears. The sound is great as well, there has been a definite reduction in backfiring. I think the facet that I'm most pleased with is "warm up". Whereas before I would feel the need to let my bike go for about ten minutes before I took off for a ride, it now takes two minutes tops to be completely warmed up with no lag or bogging down when giving it a quick rev up.

I'm sure this is old news to those who have done this mod, I just wanted to write this up for those sitting on the fence about doing this. I didn't pay for the Jet Kit either, I bought the two jets online for seven bucks a piece, that's hard to beat...

Two things to watch out for, 1. I never remembered reading anyone warn about stripping the plastic nut on the choke cable, and I did... Looking back, plenty of you guys have warned about it, so that's my own damn fault. "Don't strip it!!" 2. When I was tightning down the bolt for the gas tank, it was almost seated and I gave it one extra turn for good measure and the head of the bolt sheared right off!! Anyone heard of this happening?!?

Also, I felt like I may have had a vacuum hose left over, I couldn't figure out if I missed attaching it to something. However, the bike is running great so apparently is doesn't... One end hangs open and the other ends connects to plastic Y joint underneath the carb. Can anyone give me some clarification on this?!?

Thanks!!

Congrats on doing the Dave's mods. I wish I could help you with the carb lines, but I was confused too. Mine runs good so I just assume my lines are hooked up right. Just make sure you're not sucking unfiltered air in anywhere.:)

As long as the vacuum hook up is on the right side of the carb on the side, you should be ok. Mine popped off a while back after a nasty backfire and it ran like shit afterwards! lol.. Wouldn't idle and what not.

I am having trouble with that stupid line too.

I know it's a vent or overflow line, not a vacuum line. From the "Y" fitting, I have one line going to an overflow and the 2nd has a metal ring that was attached to the top of the cab, under a cover screw. I can't figure out where that 2nd line goes for the life of me. The carb doesn't have any more connections, I looked it over quite well.

I'll re-post if I figure it out. The bike runs great regardless though.

the "Y" line is a combo drain/vent the longer one goes down behind the motor with the rest of the lines the other goes up near the shock under the front of the seat on the left side....

without the upper vent if u did a high water crossing the bike wud die :banghead:

it vents the carb :banghead:

:)

P.S. the vacuum line from the motor side of the carb throat connects to the ACV,

When I did my Dave's mods last year, I replaced all the phillips heads for hexhead bolts and somewhere in between there, I seemed to have lost that metal loop that you put the upper vent line through. So I ended up running it up under the seat, by the air box. I used the existing wire clips to hold it in place.

The other hose (drain line?) goes downward along with I think two other hoses and the other(vent hose) should go through that loop that is suppsed to be attached to the top of the carb. It needs to be up high.

• Like 1

you ran your bike without the snorkel for a whole month?! I didn't make it one mile before I said "this is running like absolute crap!" then went back home and put it back on until I got my jets but mine is the California model so that's probably why you could get away with doing that.

you ran your bike without the snorkel for a whole month?! I didn't make it one mile before I said "this is running like absolute crap!" then went back home and put it back on until I got my jets but mine is the California model so that's probably why you could get away with doing that.

Yeah, I really did, for me it didn't affect performance at all, just gave it a throatier sound.

what where the stock jets on that? mine where 50 pilot 152 main.

Jets r us .com

Yeah man, I know what you're talking about with the vacuum lines. I didn't remember seeing the open line hanging off the back of the carb when I pulled it but once again, TT saved me!