Sign in to follow this  

Takegawa 115 Superhead Compression

Does anybody know what the compression reading is supposed to be around on a Takegawa 115 Superhead? I just picked up a used motor with one, and it seems very slow. A TB132 blows its doors off...

Thanks

I do not have a superhead, but I have an 80engine that is bored up to 111cc with a high compression piston, and I have set it up for mid-range power- i.e the Cam timing is not radical.

I was getting about 195PSI when I kicked it, and it runs well on high octane pump gas here in Japan.

I would expect the takegawa head to get a bit less than that- maybe 180PSI due to what I would assume the cam is...

How is that 132cc? Torquey? Revy? Big Mid? Top? Give us the scoop. I'm thing about it.

The 132 has tons of torque and revs real quick. My 132 killed his 115, really out-accelerating it in the first 15 feet. The 132 will jerk your arms like a 450 if you are just putting around. I have a bone stock head, a hotcam, FMF exhaust and stock carb. The top end is alright but not great. In my opinion, the 132 is the best BBK out there for less than $300. I have always had great success with TB products.

Socal, I think a hot, reliable setup would be a TB132 with a little more compression and mild porting with a 200X carb. Would be great for MX. I mainly use the bike for trail riding so that is why I still have the stock carb and head on it. I haven't run into any issues at all. I just changed the oil and checked the valves today the valves haven't moved at all. No metal shavings in the oil either. I've been beating the crap out of it for 4 months now and it's still holding up without making any noises.

I was really disappointed in the Take 115. I thought it would run all over my bike.

Sounds great! I'm building two motors riight now and I think I might do that.

Just did a compression test. 160 psi then jumped to 215 psi after I added a drop of oil. Will probably be buying new rings and gaskets.

What is a good bottom/mid range cam? I read that the Tak cam is all top end.

Sounds like you are right to me- put in new rings and see what happens. what carb are you running?

I have been re-grinding my own cams- I have tried from wild and worked backwards and now I am running very close to the same durations as the stock cam on my 80, but with 7mm lift on both inlet and exhaust. It revs out amazingly well- but really pulls like heck from right down low. Grunt is undoubtably good at times.

BUT to be honest with you It was pretty fun with the cam set up for full-on top end power- What cam are you running? is the one that comes with the head?

Yes, I am currently running the cam that comes with the head. I torn the motor apart and will post pictures soon.

Here are some pictures of the parts:

Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture005.jpg

Picture009.jpg

Picture011.jpg

Picture013.jpg

Picture015.jpg

Picture016.jpg

Picture018.jpg

Picture019.jpg

Picture021.jpg

Picture026.jpg

Picture027.jpg

Picture028.jpg

Picture029.jpg

Picture031.jpg

Picture032.jpg

Picture033.jpg

Here are the sizes of the valves.

Takegawa:

27mm Intake

23mm Exhaust

Stock:

23.5mm Intake

20.5mm Exhaust

Takegawa Piston Weight: 3oz

Stock Piston Weight: 3.5oz

Intake Lift: .2815

Exhaust Lift: .252

Cam looks BIG!

From the pixs valve pattern looks good? Any signs of cupping or leak streaks on them or the seats?

Nope. No signs of leaking. I just finished lapping them. They look great and should seal up fine. How is the cam compared to the Megacycle cam?

Did you measure the base circle of the cam to lobe?

By the look of them lumps. She's well endowed...

In a nut shell.

Lift is how far the valve opens.

Duration is how long the valve stays open.

Durations works in strange ways. To much duration cause over lap, both valve are open at the same time. leaks cylinder pressure at low rpm. moving the peak power up into the rpm rang. It needs to be soom desent duration numbers to start hurting low end torque off idle.

Lots more to cams beside lift and duration. Ramps speeds, centerline, lobe separation...

Depending on your needs and riding style, that cam could be degree in with a slotted upper timing gear. Set up, advanced or retarded a few degrees to tailor the rpm rang that you desire.

It would be difficult to compare what you have, with out knowing the factual numbers, for a comparison to other cam manufactures.

Hmmm... Those Takegawa cam spec must be out there some were?

I am not sure if you can make anything of this, but it is what I found about the Takegawa cams.

Stage 1

○ valve timing angle

IN valve OPEN 10°BTDC and CLOSE 45°ABDC

EX valve OPEN 47°BBDC and CLOSE 7°ATDC

Lift quantity IN 6.5mm EX 6.5mm

* At the time of 1mm lift reference value

Stage 2

○ valve timing angle

IN valve OPEN 17°BTDC and CLOSE 51°ABDC

EX valve OPEN 55°BBDC and CLOSE 14°ATDC

Lift quantity IN 9mm EX 9mm

Stage 3

○ valve timing angle

IN valve OPEN 17°BTDC and CLOSE 51°ABDC

EX valve OPEN 55°BBDC and CLOSE 14°ATDC

Lift quantity IN 9mm EX 9mm

By the looks of it, Stage 2 and Stage 3 cams are the same except for the roller on the Stage 3?