Sign in to follow this  

bad news 2stokers

today after a weekend of racing my ass off against 450's in a open class just to come up short and take 5th again i've decided to purchase a 450 don't know what kind but I feel I gave it everything I had and just couldn't keep up to people who were not giving as much.

man you gotta do what you gotta do, but before you spend $7K on a new 450 have you thought about putting some more cash into your 250 to make it faster or handler better etc...?? maybe you already have macked it out, either way good luck

Obviously a 4 stroke will be a lot easier to ride, but are you sure you want to do that? They are a lot heavier and more complicated. If you put some money into your 250, that is if you haven't already, you could really get some serious power out of that thing. Also, I know this isn't what you want to hear, but it also has something to do with the rider. I mean if you have raced for a long time, then thats awesome but maybe there is some room on technique improvement and such. I have ridden 450's, 250's, 250F's, and 125's and I have to say that my lap times are only about 3 seconds apart. This porbably isn't the anwser you are looking for but...Just think about it before you make anything final.

Obviously a 4 stroke will be a lot easier to ride, but are you sure you want to do that? They are a lot heavier and more complicated. If you put some money into your 250, that is if you haven't already, you could really get some serious power out of that thing. Also, I know this isn't what you want to hear, but it also has something to do with the rider. I mean if you have raced for a long time, then thats awesome but maybe there is some room on technique improvement and such. I have ridden 450's, 250's, 250F's, and 125's and I have to say that my lap times are only about 3 seconds apart. This porbably isn't the anwser you are looking for but...Just think about it before you make anything final.

3 seconds is alot, but for me between my rm 250 and my old crf 250 i am wayyyy faster on my rm, and i was also way faster on my rm 250 than on my old yz 426. i have yet to take lap times, but i bet im as fast on it or faster than i was on my 250f and 426.

i recently got my engine ported for bottom to mid and now it pulls alot better down low, and made the bike alot easier to ride, its really 4stroke like. you should def look into that if you havnt already

This debate was ended for me when Ricky Carmicheal's 250 couldn't beat Windam on a 450 at Unadilla. 4 strokes are superior motocross race machines simple as that. I have more fun riding my rm250 than any other bike I've ever ridden so the choice is simple for me.

today after a weekend of racing my ass off against 450's in a open class just to come up short and take 5th again i've decided to purchase a 450 don't know what kind but I feel I gave it everything I had and just couldn't keep up to people who were not giving as much.

I feel your pain. Few years back, I made the switch in MX. Mid pack B rider, and just tired of getting my butt handed to me by some asshat who wasn't as good with more motor than me. Very frustrating. My buddy let me try his YZ250F back in '02. On my home track, I was two seconds faster on a bike I had never ridden before. I'd been racing my KX250 smoker for two years with great results, and on a track I considered "mine" I turned a faster lap on my buddy's bike.

:)

So, I bought a YZ450F in late '02, and was competitive again. However, I will warn you, that for me at least, racing was never the same. More money in upkeep, rebuilds, etc. Now, I just race once in a while, mostly hare scrambles, the occasional mx, but both on two-strokes. More fun and less dollars. The real solution in my opinion...Yamaha, build a YZ450 two stroke!

:banghead:

i agree and wasnt' considering a new bike more like a 05-08 and if I put the same money in a 4stoke it will be faster again. I love 2strokes for riding but for racing the 4stroke wins and at amature level to me it makes a huge diffrence it turns a beginner into a average rider, but to each is there own and i'm throwing in the white towel for mx races, i will never stop riding the 2stroke though lol

Don't they have the rule that 250 smokers and 250 4t can race against each other?

Don't they have the rule that 250 smokers and 250 4t can race against each other?

I don't know if they do th:thumbsup: at or not. I've always seen 125 2smokers raceing 250 4t and 250 2smokers raceing 450 4t.

But as for the switch I say try it.

My dad always tells me if u do what u have always done u will get what you have always got. Good luck. :)

This debate was ended for me when Ricky Carmicheal's 250 couldn't beat Windam on a 450 at Unadilla. 4 strokes are superior motocross race machines simple as that. I have more fun riding my rm250 than any other bike I've ever ridden so the choice is simple for me.

I remember that one . I would rather have kept one of my 500CRs or KX than ride a 250t against 450s .

Just my 2cents i ride an rm250 and when i jump on my buddies kx450f i gotta tell you its a cheaters bike LOL so much faster with less shifting flat out less effort....good luck bro and keep us posted

I don't know if they do th:thumbsup: at or not. I've always seen 125 2smokers raceing 250 4t and 250 2smokers raceing 450 4t.

But as for the switch I say try it.

My dad always tells me if u do what u have always done u will get what you have always got. Good luck. :)

Yes you can race 125,250 2strocks and 250f in 125/250f classes.

i'm leaning towards kawi or a honda but not sure on a 450 or a 250, I hear diffrent opinions from diffrent people. some say just go with a 450 and you'll get used to the power and others say it is easier on a 250 for handling and you'll actually be using more of the bike. used there only a couple hundred diffrent so what do you guys think

I've been thinking of making the jump to a 4T for the same reasons as you.

I feel like a sell out and a cheat just thinking about though.

I am not sure which size yet but I am sure it is going to be a Zook. The suspension gets sent out right away for most and the pipe usually gets swapped out the 1st year so the 2 flaws that the bike has are getting fixed regardless. You can always make a bike faster, but you can never make it turn better than a Suzuki.

good point and that is why alot of people say go with a 250 because of turning and handling are way diffrent.

It sucks to know that the guys riding the 450's click 3rd and just go while I'm stuck hammering gears to run with the top 5. I have seen guys run 125's and hammer 450's in the A classes though.

:) why not get a cr500 or something with a big bore?i do like the sound of 4 strokes but i dont think anything can compare to a 2stroke sound and the excitement of hitting the powerband:)