Sign in to follow this  

Can we start a "how to make your yz lighter" thread

One thing I though I might do was to drill some holes in the spacers that go between the wheel bearings.

Is this a bad idea?

Please post any weight shaving tips you have.

One thing I though I might do was to drill some holes in the spacers that go between the wheel bearings.

Is this a bad idea?

Please post any weight shaving tips you have.

Whenever I think mine is getting too heavy, I try to put my DRZ400SM on a moto-stand. After that excercise in futility, my YZs feel like a feather.

:)

Seriously, other than magnesium hubs and ti-bolt kits, I really don't know. On a bike, especially a race bike, weight savings equal big dollars.

:banghead:

Whenever I think mine is getting too heavy, I try to put my DRZ400SM on a moto-stand. After that excercise in futility, my YZs feel like a feather.

:)

Seriously, other than magnesium hubs and ti-bolt kits, I really don't know. On a bike, especially a race bike, weight savings equal big dollars.

:banghead:

Aint that the truth..had to get one of those on the stand at work a few weeks back...what a PITA...and its so low you gotta pick it up hella high too.....

eat a salad, cut back on beers, skip the cake, much easier than drilling the spacers for a couple of grams, weight is weight.

No, no and no. That is not playing fair

Run your gas tank no more than half full - ever! :)

Looks like the long range tank is a waste of money:bonk:

I only weigh 140. Its the bike that needs to loose weight. I'm looking to make it easier to ride, not faster. I figure at my weight I can out run most of the 450's in the field crossings.

But thats only if I can still hold on.

Looks like the long range tank is a waste of money:bonk:

Was intended to be snide. Oh well. Hell no do I run a half full tank. It's 3.1 gallons and I fill it up before each ride. If anything needs to lose weight it's absolutely me.:)

I come from an old-school background of XC mountain bike racing, and back then if your bike weighed more than 23 pounds, you thought it was a pig. So, we counted every gram, shaved and reduced everywhere we could to get the bikes down to the weight of road bikes almost. Well guess what, you can't really take advantage of the lightweight bike if something breaks in the middle of the race. What we finally figured out is that there is a direct link between weight and durability. So with that concept in mind, I think it applies to dirt bikes as well. Heavier isn't better, but a little more material in places isn't such a bad thing.

With that said, there are some places to save weight and not compromise strength and safety too much. Tires and tubes come to mind, seems like there is a big difference across brands. Ti bits here and there can help but you really need to go full in to get any real weight savings, then there is the issue of ti bolts not coming out. Graphics weigh alot more than one would think, especially the durable thick ones (the good ones).

I was on the lightweight dirt bike thing awhile ago and after much research and hand wringing, I concluded that my YZ wants to be a certain weight and it wasn't going to be worth the $$ and hassle to try to put it on a diet that would actually make a difference. YMMV of course.

lift some weights man and take some muscle-building steroids :).... 'coz if you're racing that YZ, you need to exercise to compensate for arm pumps.

Change all your bolts to titanium bolts. That's lots of $$$ for small reductions in weight. Run really light wheels (unsprung weight hurts handling and ride). Also look into who has the lightest tire. Don't run over-sized tires. I really don't think there is anything you can take off to decrease weight. The YZ's are bare bones as it is... it is a race bike. lol.

Strength training may help out if you are wanting to throw the bike around. Hit the gym a couple times a week and I think you'll see good results in a few weeks. I'm a PT and CSCS. :)

Tires and tubes are definitely a place to look for weight savings. I know my ultra heavy duty tubes and 120-90-19 rear tire are far from light.

There's always the tubeless setup.

Maybe a lighter wheelset, although I've read it's hard to beat stock.

Titanium bolts. The biggest savings would be linkage, swingarm, and axles. But there are tradeoffs (like Pothole said).

Shave down all unnessary plastic (freestyle MX bike?)

I dunno of a ti subframe would be lighter than a stock aluminum one. Seems they were all the rage when bikes came with steel subframes.

It's hard to shave much weight without spending a crap load of money. Yamaha, Honda, etc, can cut big chunks of weight because they can engineer and build the parts that they need. Yamaha carved some fat out with a whole new swingarm on the 4 strokes. I doubt you'll be able to manufacture your own to match this savings, so it's one of those "unobtainable" parts.

i agree with the wheels and tires\tubes. my excel pro series wheels are noticeable lighter than stock ones, but they are faily expensive running about $1000 brand new, look out on ebay for aftermarkets, and use the lightest tire and tube. I switched to an 18 inch from a 19 and the trials tire is no joke 3x heavier than a normal 19 and the tube weighs as much as a 19 inch tire, but weight of the rear wheel is good for better traction

Don't forget that 1 pound of unsprung weight (stuff connected on the bottom end of the suspension) is equal to 7 pounds of sprung weight.

I have a couple of ti bolts and they are a real PITA. I think they are great for a factory bike that gets assembled weekly, but not for much else. They seize against everything they touch if not lubricated PERFECTLY. I have always wanted to buy handfuls of aluminum (or plastic)fasteners for things like the fenders, but have never bothered to get many.

I bet the new 4t swingarm and hub would bolt on. I may try it as soon as the 09's start getting parted out (next week?)

I believe its probably easier and cheaper to not add weight in the first place. A complete graphic kit, with backgrounds, does nothing but adds a lot of weight.

I'm a little curious, I'v "heard" that a 250f is the same weight or a little lighter than our yz's, now there is no doubt that the motor itself is heavier so my question is exactly where did yamaha cut out the extra weight. The new swingarm is an example, I think the hubs look smaller to if im not mistaken. Maybe the easiest way to drop some weight off our bikes is to use some 4t parts?

run bald tires, put just enough oil in it to keep from seizing it, remove the fenders, cut down the handlebars, shave down the frame with a grinder. aftermarket the exhaust and pegs. drill holes all over your levers.

i don't think i would endorse these mods but they would definately lighten the bike