Sign in to follow this  

what is the best spark plug to use?

hi guys, i ride a 04 kx250f with a 290 kit and a few other mods. what's the best plug to use, stock or aftermarket?

Um im pretty sure mos people just use the normal NGK plug um i cant remember the number/letters of it though.

One that aint fouled:banana: J/K there not really that much difference in my opinion I use NGK just because it what my dad always used:thumbsup:

You try the iriduim version of your plug.Some guys swear by it.I use them in my son kx85.I have yet to put one in my 250f thou

You try the iriduim version of your plug.Some guys swear by it.I use them in my son kx85.I have yet to put one in my 250f thou

Iridium an platnum plugs decrease performance.

Theyre both very hard metals with high resistance, and only used to increase the life of the spark plug. This is how all the can manufacturers stretch their 20-30K service to 100K.

For a hotter spark a copper plug is VERY good. (Make sure it is non-resistor also)

The best plug is a silver spark plug though- IIRC Nology, and another german company make them for about 10 bucks a pop.

I had the Nology one in my 03 YZ125 and had good luck with them.

That is what team green recomends for the kx85.Not the 250f thou. Here is another thread on it.http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=640568&highlight=spark+plug Have you ever heard of these??http://www.e3sparkplugs.com/ They wernt out yet for my bike last i heard thou.

Iridium an platnum plugs decrease performance.

Theyre both very hard metals with high resistance, and only used to increase the life of the spark plug. This is how all the can manufacturers stretch their 20-30K service to 100K.

For a hotter spark a copper plug is VERY good. (Make sure it is non-resistor also)

The best plug is a silver spark plug though- IIRC Nology, and another german company make them for about 10 bucks a pop.

I had the Nology one in my 03 YZ125 and had good luck with them.

That is what team green recomends for the kx85.Not the 250f thou. Here is another thread on it.http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=640568&highlight=spark+plug Have you ever heard of these??http://www.e3sparkplugs.com/ They wernt out yet for my bike last i heard thou.

Yup heard of those. They recommend those for the same reason that they recommend Castrol oil: The highest bidder paid to have their part listed.

Similar to why many upper end cars have stickers under the hood that sya "Use only Mobil1 Synthetic"

If you look into the link, I actually posted on that one also. Iridium is only for increased mileage.

For those E3 spark plugs- Im very skeptical if they work.

I actually got one for free at a trade show, so i can give you a real world test in a few months.

However, it seems like a huge gimmick to me, especially the way that they claim the flame front if forced down on the piston. (Gasses don't work like that, they exert equal pressure everywhere in their contaner, so the whole "less cylinder quenching thing" doesnt make sense to me.

Also, it says the electrode is made from an alloy steel? Thats going to have a huge resistance... So idk about those...

haha i dont doubt that.... I thought about trying one in my chainsaw or lawnmower 1st. Hey all im saying on the iriduim plugs is that there are some guys on this forum who use them and swear there bikes start better and run smoother.I know on my sons bike I have never fouled a iriduim plug.I cant say that about the regular plug

The electrode is so small that the spark really is effectively being "forced" to jump the gap much easier. This also means that the spark is much weaker, so it is a trade off.