Sign in to follow this  

1979 honda xl500s turn signals

I just hooked up my my turn signals on my 1979 honda xl500s and all four of them light up, but they don't blink. The left lights turn on when the switch is flipped left, and the right ones come on when the switch is flipped right. When I turn the switch either way you can hear the relay make a single 'click' and the lights come on (but no blinking). I currently have the electrical system hooked up to a charger, but it does the same thing with the battery. I also tried to reverse the black and gray wires connected to the relay (which is brand new) but had the same result: lighting up without blinking. I've checked the ground and wire connectors and they all seem to be good. Does anybody have any ideas?

For whatever reason, there's not enough current being drawn to 'heat up' the relay and make it blink.

12-volt blinker bulbs in a 6-volt system?

12-volt blinker relay in a 6-volt system?

When you say charger vs. battery - what about when BOTH are hooked up - that is, battery installed and charger connected to it? How 'muscular' is the charger? Trickle charger won't do. For this test, it'd need to be ~6 amps @ 6 volts.

That's all I can think of, off hand.

I agree with kdn on this one. It sounds like you have some 12V components in your 6v system.

On the other hand, if the lights are nice and bright, you might have a defective flasher. Check your bulbs and flasher and make sure they are all rated for 6v and if so, try another flasher.

Let us know what you find.

THe zix volt turn signal systems are a lot less tolerant of problems. All the connections have to be perfect and the batter needs to be in good condition. If anything is not just right the flasher will not have enough juice flowing through it to flash.

It turns out that I did have a couple of 12 volt lights in the front blinkers (thanks for the advice). Once they were switched out, all of signals started blinking properly (when hooked to a battery charger). I am still having some issues getting them to blink brightly enough when hooked to the battery. It's an old system and the battery needs to be replaced. I'm thinking that a good idea might be to replace the tail/brake light with an LED light, and perhaps put LED bulbs in the blinkers if I can find an electronic flasher relay.

I'm thinking that a good idea might be to replace the tail/brake light with an LED light, and perhaps put LED bulbs in the blinkers if I can find an electronic flasher relay.

The problem is most LED lights are 12 volt and will not work on a six volt system. They are available though. Here is an example http://www.ledlight.com/s25-24-led-light-6-volt-dc.aspx

You may have a problem with a flasher. Your existing flasher will not wor as you need an electronic one. Again the six volt thing may be an issue. A 12 volt electronic flasher might work and it might not.

You might want to get a new battery before anything else and see how that works out.

Thanks for the advice on the lights and battery. I'm going to get a new battery for it and I did manage to get some 6v LED lights for the tail light and for the turn signals. Now I just have to replace the flasher relay (the one on there right now is OEM 6v mechanical). I'm thinking about wiring this one in:

http://cgi.ebay.com/6V-to-12V-Adj-Flash-Electronic-LED-Flasher-Relay-L_W0QQitemZ150332511249QQihZ005QQcategoryZ58019QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks for the advice on the lights and battery. I'm going to get a new battery for it and I did manage to get some 6v LED lights for the tail light and for the turn signals. Now I just have to replace the flasher relay (the one on there right now is OEM 6v mechanical). I'm thinking about wiring this one in:

http://cgi.ebay.com/6V-to-12V-Adj-Flash-Electronic-LED-Flasher-Relay-L_W0QQitemZ150332511249QQihZ005QQcategoryZ58019QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

That flasher should be just what you need.

I have the same problem with my 75 gt80. New oem flasher , new 6v blinkers, blinkers are bright but will not blink, ground is good. Even new oem turn signal switch and new battery. Can't figure it out. The new blinkers are plastic but I ground off the paint where the mounting bolt mounts and still no blink.:thumbsup: